Notes: New Note disabled

Hello,

I have Notes 4.0 (512) running on OS X 10.11 (15A226f). I cannot create a new note. Using the shortcut cmd+N. And the menu item File > New Note is disabled (grayed). I can only create folders.

All my notes are stored on iCloud. I have space available on my iCloud storage plan. Notes sync with iCloud is activated. I restarted my Mac; it did not help.

Did anyone encouter that? Is this a feature or a bug? I Google for this and found nothing.

I can't remember if it happened right after updating to 15A226f or a while after.

Also to note, I had an issue with no free storage available on iCloud. I fixed it by deleting an iOS backup to reclaim 4GB.

Thank you!

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of jmetillon Down vote post of jmetillon
37k views
  • I solved it by going to icloud settings inside Apple ID and deactivating and re-activating notes.

• If you go inside of System Preferences>AppleID, then click on Notes (in iCloud) to disable it and then click on Notes (in iCloud) to re-enable it, it will restore this functionality.

• It is absolutely irresponsible to post support advice that deletes all existing Notes data. Is this the new and improved Apple support?

Replies

I am having the same issue although I am not a developer I am using version 10.11 Beta (15A225f) Notes Version 4.0 (512). I can confirm that I was definitely able to create notes on my macbook before the beta installation. Another strange occurence happened with Notes when I first installed the beta OS, some of my notes duplicated and triplicated. I have already deleted 28 "copies" but have more to delete when I am done comparing to make sure I don't lose any data. I purchased storage and I currently have 142 GB available so I doubt that is an issue. Another thing to point out, I am unable to create a new note using iCloud and On My Mac acccounts.

While I was typing this, I experimented with something and was able to create a new note. Try this: in the Notes app, go to View then choose Show Toolbar. You will then see the Create a Note icon and you should be able to create a new note. Still not sure why the menu or keyboard shortcut doesn't work.

• This worked! Now just to remember it every time it happens...

Add a Comment
I have a LOT of information stored In my notes and access them multiple times throughout the day. I finally upgraded my IOS Sunday night, and Monday morning was unable to create a new note. However, I AM able to access existing notes.

I continued to play and found that I am not able to create notes on the Cloud -- however, I AM able to create notes on my MacBook. Will continue to investigate options.....

You need to have your iPhone unlocked and nearby to create a new note.

• I was able to replicate this solution on the most recent instance of this occurring. The question is now if it's a bug or a feature?

• was having the same issue, came to this page, and saw this solution. IT WORKED! I have the same question though now... is this a feature or a bug?

Add a Comment

Er_Murena had right answer for me. Settings -> Internet Accounts -> iCloud -> Uncheck and then Check Notes app

Thanks, Er_Murena!

• Thanks this method helped me on my Macbook pro. For those who still struggle, please note that you can tick your notes from iCloud, google, yahoo, etc. and see the result in your note app.

• this method worked for me!!!

• this method, worked for me, thanks

Add a Comment

I lost all my notes following the "go to icloud settings inside Apple ID and deactivating and re-activating notes" advice and still cannot create new notes :/

I lost all my notes following the "go to icloud settings inside Apple ID and deactivating and re-activating notes" advice and still cannot create new notes :/<<

Exactly the same thing just happened to me.

For me (on Monterey), the problem was solved by going to Preferences in the Notes app and unchecking "Resume last Quick Note." Then I could create a new Quick Note, and the New Note button and command worked.

• This is the only solution

• Worked for me, don't have the faintest idea how, but it worked!

• Worked for me too, on Monterey 12.3.1

First new note button greyed out > then I went to System preferences > iCloud > deselected and reselected note > coming back to notes, all notes disappeared ( stress levels high ! ) > all buttons are greyed out, tagging is not working, hashtag is not working. So basically if someone is storing important information in notes, you may loose it all ? I do see it on iCloud, though I am worried that somehow while syncing this may also get wiped out There is no option to back up notes and restore them Apple Engineers - please continue to work diligently to look at these forums and solve our issues.

The problem is in Quick notes. As you can try, if your last note is empty, the New note button is greyed and you cannot press it (even by cmd+N or menu).
Fill the new note and you can create another one. Monterey introduced Quick notes. When the Quick note is empty, it behaves same and you cannot create New note.

Solution one: Fill your Quick note with some text

Solution two: Disable in Setting field Open last Quick note.

Always check if your last note contains something and is not blank.
(Apologies, my MacOS not in English language so the names of fields could slightly differ)

• This is the correct answer!

• This solution worked for me. Cursor down to lower right-hand corner to activate quick note, entered some text, and saved. Create New Note was restored. This should be the recommended first potential solution as it doesn't involve changing iCloud preferences.

Add a Comment

You need to disable and re-enable notes on iCloud in System Preferences -> Apple Id. It worked for me on Monterey 12.3.1

I had the same problem then tried going to Notes --> Preferences --> Ticked the "Enable the On My Mac account" The new note icon is back (no longer gray) on my Notes view. Hope this helps.

• This worked for me! I wish this was the default setting, but luckily I found this suggestion!

• This worked for me!

• This worked for me!

Add a Comment

I've just closed the app and opened it again and I was able to create notes 🫢

• Same that worked for me as well

Don't just click the red x though, you have to either do the two finger tap or right click (depending on the mouse settings you have) and click on "quit" Once you reopen it everything should be working again.

Add a Comment

Notes - Preferences -- UNCHECK resume quick note, close notes and reopen. Enjoy =)

• This is the way ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Add a Comment

As others have said. Going into setting, inactivating and reactivating notes works. Disable and re-enable notes on iCloud in System Preferences -> Apple Id

new note on my MacBook has been greyed out for many years. Every 6 months or so I look for a solution. I have asked many apple experts. I have a tone of important notes I created on my iPhone which works. I can't delete these. These are visible in the MacBook, but I can't create new ones on the MacBook. Its a bug which has been around for years. Both devices have notes set to sync in iCloud preferences. Today I tried switching off notes sync on iPhone, but it said it would deleted all my notes so I canceled. This is crazy. However, interestingly, if I switch off notes sync on the Mac, it doesn't say this, but it did it anyway without warning. then it loaded them again, now I can create new notes, for the first Time on my Mac.