tvOS14 Audio Output Sources Missing

tvOS14 has no option to choose an output source so No Airplay to homepods. Has the Option moved or been removed from this version? I see nothing about it in the release notes

Replies

Just had a phone call with senior support, he was admiting that they have removed the support of setting default audio output to any other AirPlay speakers than Apple Homepod.

I agree with above comment that this is just criminal, i can no longer use my Sonos speakers except when i manually switch by pressing the TV-screen button on the control. Which i now have to do each time i change app.

Another step for Apple to lock their products to other Apple-products. And since it worked before this is only a software thing.

When it comes to speakers and by purpose remove functionality of using other brands it goes to far in my opinion.

Actually this was it for me, i will never buy an Apple-product again. Not a computer, a phone or any other device when they obviously can get a software update that by purpose destroy the product.

Good to mention is that he said that they will re-evaluate this decision if many enough complain about it.
The first option under Settings, Video/Audio, Audio, is Default Audio Output. Select whatever you want.

I think the issue is after a TVOS update it gets reset, back to the TV's Audio on mine, so I always have to remember to reselect HomePods.
  • That’s annoying because on mine, updated to 14.6, is the first thing under Audio is Audio Format. 😦

Add a Comment

There is a new menu under the Audio Output options menu, it’s called Temporary Audio Output, it now lets you select your speakers there, it’s the same as holding the TV button on the remote.

Are there any news to fixing this Apple fail? Very annoying having to select my Airport 2 speakers every time i turn on APTV.... Have been using Xiaomi TV boks for a while because of this. Considering selling my APTV if not fixed. I have an airport Express. Can it be changed to work as a “HomePod” and thereby selecting it as “default audio output” ?

I'm unable to set Homepods as the Default Audio Output either. Well, I can set them but then I just get a message stating the ATV couldn't connect to that room. Have reset the ATV and Homepods with no effect. I can Airplay using the long Home press and by selecting the Temporary Audio Output option but, as I understand it, neither of these will give me Dolby Atmos from the Homepods.

Not what I'd expect from Apple, this is a buggy mess.

Paul

Brand new AppleTV 4K 2021 running tvOS 14.6 replacing our old AppleTV where all was good.

With the new one it‘s even weirder as our stereo pair of Homepod minis can‘t be set as default although a pair of original Homepods in the same room can.

Additionally, there’s more complication: The stock music app has seemingly less restrictions as the temporary option works with it and the Homepod minis, whereas others (the NextPVR app for example) output their audio stream to the TV speakers — although the temporary option has not been changed.

Now going for the 14.7 18M5542c beta…

[EDIT:] Still the same bugs…

Well, we didn't know that it's intended behavior...

https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/06/07/homepod-mini-can-be-set-as-default-speaker-for-apple-tv-4k-in-tvos-14

Selecting airplay speaker with TV button has some problem Only sound from proper source seems to be played For instance, menu sound will not be played,

For me, When I mirror my IPAD, sound from video played by browser and sound from games is not played to airplay speakers (Although some apps like youtube works)