On WatchOS, is it possible to classify gestures in real time in the background?

I am thinking of developing a watchOS app that will record someones audio, whenever they raise their wrist to their face (so as to classify coughs and sneezes and help detect flu outbreaks). Of course, this is possible first-party (Siri's raise to wake & hand wash detection), but I am wondering if it's possible third-party. I have seen some similar questions asked on StackExchange, but they all seem to be suggesting that starting a Watch Kit Workout Session would do the trick. However, this presents a UI and precludes the user from using the app as normal. Moreover, if it is possible to classify gestures in the background, is it possible to subsequently record the audio or would that require the app to be opened?
My sense upon researching this is that it's probably not possible, but I'm really excited about this idea and I know there's lots of stuff out there with Research Kit that I'm not aware of, so I wanted to ask.

Accepted Reply

There is no way at the present time for a third party app to detect gestures if your app is in the background and it is suspended.

Replies

There is no way at the present time for a third party app to detect gestures if your app is in the background and it is suspended.
I like the idea. Check out Extended Runtime Sessions for Health Monitoring. It's not documented but mentioned in the WWDC video.

One problem I see is starting the microphone. For security and privacy reason I think you can only start microphone when app in foreground.