Random Shutdown in Big Sur (ThunderboltNHI) driver problem

Hey guys,
I have the problem that my 2013 MacBook crashes frequently since upgrading to Big Sur. This means that all of a sudden the screen freezes, the fans turn up and all of a sudden the MacBook is off. In Catalina, through research I found out that it's because of the Thunderbolt driver (AppleThunderboltNHI.Kext etc.), which I had always renamed in Catalina using recovery mode (... .kext.BAK). This solved the problem. But now since Big Sur I can't rename the Kext files anymore because I'm only in read-only mode. So I wanted to ask here if there is a possibility to rename the files again? Otherwise the MacBook still runs really well!

• I had the same problem in my MBP Late 2013. I can't get pass the step mount -uw/Volumes/Macintosh HD with or without quotes. Does anybody with the Macintosh HD hard disk name have solved this? Also, somebody suggested a HDMI Dummy Plug; any luck with this simple solution? Thanks

Add a Comment

Replies

Does Open Core Legacy Patcher work with mbp 15,1? (2018 Big Sur 11.6.1). I'm having the kernel panic shutdown issue due to AppleThunderboltNHI.kext. I've tried other methods to rename it and create a new snapshot but it crashes in 2-3 mins before anything is complete, even in safe mode and recovery mode.

I heard others were able to disable Thunderbolt and build an installer for older macs using ocpl.

Hello Everyone,

I am used to this problem since Catalina, then on Big Sur. But I ended up doing the last Big Sur update (don't ask me why...)... So my mac is randomly shutting down again... I tried the solutions you provided but at the last step I have a problem.

When I type : bless --folder /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/System/Library/CoreServices --bootefi --create-snapshot It results in : Can't determine mount point of '/Volumes/Macintosh HD/System/Library/CoreServices' and ' '.

Could anyone help me ?

Thanks

Putting “dummy loads” fixed the problem for me. It’s not pretty, but I’m going back and forth between connecting to a Thunderbolt Display and using my late 2013 MPB by itself… so major hassle, as you can imagine. I keep a tb Ethernet adapter and an hdmi cable attached - and that “spaghetti solution” keeps the mac running for now. It won’t win a beauty contest, but at least it’s up. I hope this helps.

Hello friends I happen to be facing the same issue after updating to Big Sur 11.7.10 I can't get Any work moving. I live in Kenya and Can't afford a new MBP.

When I try Fsck -y there is the error container/dev/rdisk1 is mounted. Repairs in a mounted container is not supported

• Buy a thunderbolt ethernet adapter, this will solve your problem immediately. Next you can try any solution pested here.

Add a Comment