LaCie 6Big - M1 Mac Mini Driver

Whelp, I learned a lovely lesson about Lacie today. Their customer driver extensions on MacOS are ultimately as bad as I figured they would be and it seems to have bitten them in the ***. It seems their current drivers aren't compatible with M1 Mac minis (and I haven't seen a single post/article mentioning this). I was planning on migrating my Plex server from an i3 Mac mini to an M1 based device, but now I have to reshuffle my setup with another one of my computers due to lack of driver compatibility (and no advertised lack of support). I'm seriously considering getting rid of my Lacie 6Big at this point and swapping it out for an OWC thunderbolt 3 rack supported DAC. -_-. I'm hoping other people just read this because honestly, I have nothing but nasty remarks towards Lacie in this regarding considering their #1 use for their RAIDs involves the people who will be buying M1 Macs. Does anyone have a workaround for this?

Replies

Hi there, I’m also having the same issue with LaCie 6Big, on M1 Ultra Mac Studio. Has anyone found a solution to this? Getting around 50mb read and about 400mb write.

This popped up this morning. (macOS 12.3.1). Potential to disrupt on a future macOS update?

Refers to this:

LaCieMvumi:

Version: 1.3.22
   Last Modified: 19/10/2021, 11:32 am
   Bundle ID: com.lacie.driver.mvumi
   Notarized: Yes
   Loaded: Yes
   Obtained from: Identified Developer
   Kind: Universal
   Architectures: arm64e, x86_64
   64-Bit (Intel): Yes
   Kext Version: 1.3.22
   Load Address: 18446741874802737000
   Loadable: Yes
   Dependencies: Deprecated
   Signed by: Developer ID Application: Seagate Technologies LLC (57HJ3KH2XC), Developer ID Certification Authority, Apple Root CA

Hi everyone, The solution is finally here ! I've been calling Lacie for a while explaining the problem of slowness with my Lacie 6big and the apple M1. They told me it was a problem of compatibility and driver and they were trying to fix it. Yesterday they call me back to tell me that they fixed the problem :

You have to download the last version of the lacie raid manager : 2.9.3.225 and active the permisions on your mac when you install the software.

Now I've got around 800Mb/s write and read in thunderbolt 3 and raid 5. Hope this will help you!

• fematheron THANK YOU THANK THANK YOU!!! I can't tell you how happy I am right now!!

• WORKS! FINALLY!! THANK YOU FEMATHERON! I get around 800/900 W/R with my LaCie 6Big + Mac Studio M1 Max LETS GO!

• Hi, I use Macbook pro M1 Max - macOS Monterey 12.5.1 Lacie 6Big - Lacie raid Manager - 2.9.4.172 Unfortunately my speed is still low=( write: 116 read : 490 Is there something I did wrong?

Add a Comment

SUCCESS! THANK YOU LACIE!

Using the process described by fematheron above it's now back to peak performance.

Me: 2022 Mac Studio M1 Max

• 5Big Thunderbolt 2 20TB
  • RAID 5
  • WD Red Pro WD4003FFBX drives
  • Cables: OEM Lacie TB2 cable into Apple TB2 to TB3 adaptor
  • Ports: rear TB port on Mac Studio

Lacie website specs state performance benchmark for a 5Big 20TB in RAID 5 should be:

• 720 MB/s Write
  • 700 MB/s Read

Black Magic Speed Test

1GB Stress File

• Initial peak of 701 MB/s Write, (average: 660~ MB/s over 3 mins)
  • Initial peak of 680 MB/s Read, (average: 650~ MB/s over 3 mins)

5GB Stress File:

• Initial peak of 750 MB/s Write, (average: 540~ MB/s over 3 mins)
  • Initial peak of 710 MB/s Read, (average: 550~ MB/s over 3 mins)
  • Hello everyone. Has anyone upgraded to Ventura yet?

Add a Comment

Hello all.

I am dealing with the very same issue when it comes to how slow my Lacie drive is. I have a brand new Mac Studio M1 Max running Ventura 13.2.1 OS. My Lacie 16Big has the latest firmware update. I have downloaded the latest Lacie RAID Manager (LaCie RAID Manager v2 for macOS 10.14 and above version 2.9.4.437) and it keeps saying 'A driver must be installed to use the LaCie RAID Manager'. I click install and a new prompt appears 'App permission required'. See screenshots.

I go to System Settings - Privacy & Security and all the necessary things have been enabled.

Needless to say, still no success in being able to update the drivers. I was on the phone last night for 2hrs with Lacie support who could not figure it out. They then said I needed to call Apple support which I did. Spent another 2hrs on the phone with them and they couldn't figure it out either. Their recommendation was to reinstall the OS system. Hell no, this Mac is 2 months old and there's no problem with the system.

If anyone has found a solution to this please walk me through your process and explain it to me like I'm a 5yr old.

Thanks.