VoiceOver not reading "More Content Available"

Following the Tailor the VoiceOver experience in your data-rich apps, I implemented a small app in SwiftUI and a similar small app in UIKit to test the AXCustomContent API. I followed the video with how to implement, however, I am not getting any options to hear more content. The VoiceOver read out stops after the main accessibility label, and my extra content is never read.

I am using Xcode 13 beta and iOS 15. Is there any other requirements for this API?

Replies

Hi there! If you are using a custom content priority of type .default, extra content is not read by default. If you use .high as its importance, the content's value should be appended to VoiceOver's speech output.

In Settings.app in iOS and iPadOS, you can further tweak how you can interact with Custom Content by going to Settings > Accessibility > VoiceOver > Verbosity > More Content. This will default to "Do Nothing". You can access custom content through a rotor as explained in this article: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204783.

On macOS, you can find these verbosity settings in VoiceOver Utility > Verbosity > Hints > "When an item has more content". You can access custom content by pressing the VoiceOver keys (control+option)+command+/.

Hope that helps! Let us know if you're still running into any issues after trying these steps.