Regain access to Web Audio after Safari memory limit

I am creating a web app using canvas2d rendering and web-audio API that uses a good amount of memory because of audio and textures. On iOS and iPadOS I'm getting this logged in the console after a while.

kernel	EXC_RESOURCE -> com.apple.WebKit.GPU[12432] exceeded mem limit: ActiveSoft 200 MB (non-fatal)

It seems Safari is holding onto my resources even though they have been dereferenced in JS, but that's another issue.

When this happens, all my canvases containing rendered text disappears and the audio stops playing. The main canvas seems to be kept and renders as normal. The text canvases can be regenerated fairly quickly. However from this point I am not able to play audio anymore, unless I recreate the AudioContext.

The odd thing is that if I inspect the AudioContext after this event, it still has the state "running". I would expect it to have the state "suspended" if the OS did something with it. I am not sure if this is intended or a bug in Safari.

If I am able to somehow detect that this happened from JS, I can just recreate the AudioContext, but I am not sure if this is possible.

Does anybody have any experience with this or any other advice?