Creating App Previews with iMovie
You can easily create an app preview to showcase your app using iMovie. Start by capturing screen recordings from your iOS device or Apple TV with QuickTime Player on your Mac. Next, you’ll use iMovie to edit the recordings and add titles, transitions, a soundtrack, and voiceover.
- iOS device with Lightning connector, Retina display, and iOS 9 or Apple TV (4th generation)
- Mac with OS X v10.10.5 Yosemite or later
- iMovie for Mac v10.1.2 or later
Capture Screen Recordings with QuickTime Player
- Connect your iOS device or Apple TV to your Mac using a Lightning cable (iOS device) or USB-Type C cable (Apple TV).
- Open QuickTime Player on your Mac.
- Choose File > New Movie Recording.
- In the window that appears, select your device as the Camera and Microphone input source.
Create an App Preview with iMovie
Create an App Preview Project
To start a new app preview project, launch iMovie then choose File > New App Preview.
Import Screen Recordings
Import the screen recording files that you captured with QuickTime Player.
- After creating a new App Preview project in the previous step, click the Import Media button that appears in the Browser. Alternatively, you can choose File > Import Media.
- Select the screen recording files you’d like to import.
- In the Browser at the top left of the iMovie interface, click on a clip to select it, or use the trim handles to select just a portion of the clip.
- Click the + button to add the selection to the timeline.
- After a clip is in the timeline, you can make it shorter or longer by dragging either of its edges.
iMovie includes 11 titles designed just for app previews. To add a title:
- In the menu bar above the Browser, click Titles. A set of 11 titles will appear in the Browser.
- To make a title appear over a video clip, drag it above the clip in the timeline. To make a title appear over black or a background color, drag it directly to the timeline.
- Select the title in the timeline, then double-click the text in the Viewer and type your text.
- Customize the font and color of a title using the controls in the Adjustments Bar, which appear above the Viewer.
- In the menu bar above the Browser, click Transitions.
- Drag a transition before or after a clip in the timeline.
- Adjust the duration of a transition by double-clicking it.
Create a Soundtrack
- Choose File > Import Media, then select the audio file in the window that appears.
- Drag music to the Background Music area at the bottom of the timeline.
- Drag sound effects directly underneath any clip in the timeline.
- Click the microphone button in the lower left corner of the Viewer to display the Voiceover recording controls.
- Click the red Record button below the Viewer to begin recording.
Export Your App Preview
To export the final video, click Share in the toolbar, then choose App Preview. The export settings are automatically configured to meet App Store requirements. iMovie exports the final video at the correct resolution based on the device from which your clips were captured, as shown in the table below.
|iPhone 6s, iPhone 6, iPhone 7||750 x 1334||1334 x 750|
|iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 7 Plus||1080 x 1920||1920 x 1080|
|iPhone SE, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPod touch 5th generation||640 x 1136||1136 x 640|
|iPad Air, iPad 4th generation, iPad mini with Retina display||900 x 1200||1200 x 900|
|iPad Pro||1200 x 1600||1600 x 1200|
|Mac||1920 x 1080|
|Apple TV 4th generation||1920 x 1080|
To learn more about using iMovie, visit iMovie Help.