You must agree to these WWDC19 Scholarship Terms and Conditions (“terms”) to apply for a scholarship to attend WWDC19. If you do not agree, do not apply. By applying, you are agreeing to be bound by all the terms.
WWDC19 Scholarship submissions are due by Sunday, March 24, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. PDT. Apple is not responsible for lost or late applications, or for electronic transmission errors, regardless of cause. All applicants will be notified of their status by Monday, April 15, 2019. Notifications will be sent by email to the email address associated with the Apple ID that was used to submit. Once notifications are sent, applicants can also see their scholarship status by signing in to
Application Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible to apply for a WWDC19 Scholarship, you must:
- Be 13 years of age or older, or the equivalent minimum age in the relevant jurisdiction (for example, 16 years of age in the European Union);
- be registered for free with Apple as an Apple developer or be a member of a paid Apple Developer Program; and
- fulfill one of the following requirements:
- be enrolled in an accredited academic institution or official homeschool equivalent;
- have graduated from high school or equivalent within the past 6 months and be awaiting acceptance to an accredited academic institution; or
- be an active member of a STEM organization, which can be any organization with a membership program that teaches science, technology, engineering, or math outside of a regular school curriculum and is legally recognized as a nonprofit organization.
Void where prohibited by law. Eligibility is subject to verification by Apple and you agree to cooperate with Apple to provide information about your educational status and membership status. Employees, interns, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotional agencies of Apple Inc. are not eligible, and immediate family members and/or those living in the same household of such parties are not eligible.
- You must complete all required fields on the scholarship application form and upload all required files and documentation
- If you apply as a student, you must provide a PDF, PNG, or JPG of your current class schedule or other current proof
of enrollment and the contact information for your dean or principal. If you apply as a member of a STEM organization or an Apple Developer Academy,
you must provide a PDF, PNG, or JPG of your membership information and your local leader’s contact information.
Documentation is accepted in all languages.
- You must submit a Swift playground built with Swift Playgrounds 2.2 or Xcode 10.1. Xcode projects will not be considered.
- Your Swift playground must either be created by you as an individual or be based on a Swift Playgrounds template modified by you as an individual. Groupwork will not be considered. You may include third-party open source licensed code and/or public domain images and sounds, with credit and an explanation of why it was used.
- Your Swift playground must be fully functioning and run on Swift Playgrounds 2.2 or Xcode 10.1. If it runs on Swift Playgrounds 2.2, it must be optimized to display properly on all models of iPad Pro.
- Submissions will be judged offline. Your Swift playground should not rely on a network connection and any resources used in your Swift playground should be included locally in your .zip file.
- You must provide an essay answer written by you to all required questions in the application form.
- Swift playgrounds must be written in Swift Playgrounds 2.2 or in Xcode 10.1. You must comply with the terms
of the Swift Playgrounds Software License Agreement or the Xcode and Apple SDKs License Agreement, as applicable,
when creating your Swift playground.
You may only submit one application per person for the WWDC19 Scholarship and only one scholarship will be awarded per individual. Scholarship submissions are only accepted through the form available at developer.apple.com/wwdc19/scholarships/apply
. Submissions will not be accepted through any other channel or after submissions are closed.
Information Submitted to Apple Not Deemed Confidential
Apple works with many software developers and some of their products may be similar to or compete with the Swift playground
you submit. Apple may also be developing its own similar or competing apps, playgrounds, products or services or may
decide to do so in the future. To avoid potential misunderstandings, Apple cannot agree, and expressly disclaims, any
confidentiality obligations or use restrictions, express or implied, with respect to your submission or any information
that you provide in connection with your scholarship application (“Applicant Disclosures”). You agree that all such Applicant
Disclosures will be non-confidential. Submitting a Swift playground submission as part of this scholarship application
does not grant Apple any ownership interest in your submission, and you retain your rights in your submission.
Submissions will be judged on:
- technical accomplishment in the submitted Swift playground;
- creativity of ideas in the submitted Swift playground; and
- content of written responses to the questions in the application form.
All decisions made by the judges are final and scoring is confidential. In the event of a tie, preference will be given to the applicant who has not previously received a scholarship. If a recipient is unable
to attend, Apple may contact the applicant with the next highest score, at Apple’s sole discretion.
Reasons for Disqualification
Your submission may not be considered for a WWDC19 Scholarship if it does not follow all eligibility and submission
requirements or if it meets any of the conditions listed below:
- Your Swift playground does not function during the judging process.
- The Swift playground you provide was not built by you, or was built by more than one person. Group work will not
be considered. Plagiarized work will not be considered and may disqualify you from future scholarship opportunities.
- Your Swift playground requires sign in.
- You track and/or insert analytics code in your Swift playground meant to identify or track usage or judges.
In addition, Apple reserves the right to disqualify your current and/or future submission, or withhold or revoke your scholarship
and/or lodging at any time if:
- You submit more than one scholarship application form. Each person is only allowed one submission;
- Any part of your submission is untrue, plagiarized, or fabricated;
- You engage in or previously engaged in harassment or other harmful behavior directed at Apple, Apple employees, other
scholarship applicants, or WWDC attendees;
- You are awarded a scholarship and do not claim your ticket and lodging by the deadline, or accept it but do not attend
WWDC daily, unless otherwise agreed by Apple;
- You accept travel assistance and/or lodging but do not check in for the travel and/or lodging arrangements made by
Apple and do not inform an Apple representative in advance;
- You stay at the provided lodging for a different date range than that arranged by Apple without written permission from Apple;
- You, directly or indirectly, commit any act intended to interfere with the WWDC Scholarship program, including but not limited to falsely discrediting other scholarship applicants to gain a more favorable chance of receiving a scholarship or contacting Apple employees to request more favorable treatment of your submission; or
- You (or your submission) fail to comply with these terms and conditions.
If you are a scholarship recipient, you must let us know by April 21, 2019 if you will accept your scholarship. Scholarships
that are not accepted by this date will be offered to other applicants and forfeited. Each developer selected for a WWDC19
Scholarship who has agreed to attend WWDC19 will receive a ticket free of charge that entitles the developer to attend
WWDC19, held between June 3 and June 7, 2019 in San Jose, California, USA, and will receive lodging arranged by Apple
free of charge, subject to these terms. In addition, one year of individual membership in the Apple Developer Program
will be assigned free of charge to eligible accounts of recipients age 18 years or older. This membership will start on June 1, 2019 for eligible accounts that do not already have an individual
membership in the Apple Developer Program. For eligible accounts that already have an individual membership in the Apple Developer
Program, the membership will be renewed for one year once the current membership expires. Up to three hundred and fifty
(350) scholarships will be awarded at Apple’s sole discretion. Only one ticket will be awarded per scholarship recipient.
Tickets are non-transferable and may not be sold, resold, bartered, auctioned or exchanged for other goods, services
or benefits. All scholarship recipients must agree to the WWDC19 Registration and Attendance Policy to attend WWDC19.
In addition, scholarship recipients between the ages of 13 and 17 must have their parent or guardian complete and sign
the WWDC19 Permission Statement to receive the WWDC19 Scholarship. There will be no substitution of awards and no cash
awarded in lieu of the WWDC19 ticket or Apple Developer Program membership. All applicable taxes are the sole responsibility
of the scholarship recipient.
Apple will provide a light breakfast and lunch, as well as beverages and snacks, at WWDC19 during the conference. Dinner will not be provided. Food that you purchase
outside of the conference is at your own cost and Apple will not provide reimbursement. If you have a restricted diet
for breakfast or lunch at WWDC19, let us know by contacting
firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will try to accommodate your requests.
Lodging will be provided by a third-party company for all scholarship recipients starting Saturday, June 1, 2019 until Saturday,
June 8, 2019. You will be assigned to a shared room with another scholarship recipient. If you have a medical need for
your own room, please contact
email@example.com. Conference staff will be available at the lodging venue each day from June 1, 2019 until June 8,
You agree to follow all policies set forth by the third-party and by the lodging venue, and agree that Apple is not responsible
for these policies in any way.
In addition, Apple will not be responsible for any charges or additional assistance related to lodging, including but not
- charges or reimbursement for additional nights of lodging or assistance in finding additional lodging.
- refund for nights of provided lodging not used by you.
- reimbursement for any incidental charges or charges for damage to your room or to the lodging venue caused by you.
- charges incurred due to negligence, disorderly conduct, unlawful activities, or noise caused by you.
- charges or reimbursement for alternate lodging or assistance in finding alternate lodging if you do not wish to use provided
- charges or reimbursement for alternate lodging or assistance in finding alternate lodging if you are asked to leave the
lodging venue due to violating policy.
Lodging and travel expenses for parents or guardians are not provided by Apple. Parents or guardians who wish to accompany
a scholarship recipient are responsible for their own lodging and travel expenses, and will not receive a ticket to WWDC19
as part of the WWDC19 Scholarship program. Scholarship recipients under 18 years of age whose parent or guardian does
not wish to accompany them to WWDC19 must have permission to attend WWDC19 without the presence of a parent or guardian.
Apple is not responsible for any expenses other than those specified in this policy. Need-based travel assistance for air transportation may be
requested in the submission process and may be provided by Apple at Apple’s sole discretion for up to one hundred and
twenty five (125) scholarship recipients. Transportation between the airport, the lodging venue, the McEnery Convention
Center, or any other locations related to WWDC19 will not be provided by Apple. Travel expenses are not reimbursable
by Apple and are the sole responsibility of the recipient. Attendance at certain WWDC19 events may be limited for attendees
under 21 years of age.
All federal, state, and local laws and regulations apply. By applying for a WWDC19 Scholarship, you agree to hold Apple
and its directors, officers, employees and assigns, harmless against any and all claims and liability arising out of
your application and/or acceptance of the WWDC19 Scholarship. You assume all liability for any injury or damage caused,
or claimed to be caused, by participation in this program or use/redemption of the WWDC19 Scholarship. You agree to
be bound by these terms and conditions and the decisions of the judges, which are final in all respects. You agree that
Apple shall not be responsible for any typographical or other errors in the administration of the WWDC19 Scholarship
Photographs, audio and/or video taken as part of the WWDC19 Scholarship program or at WWDC19 by Apple, or others on behalf
of Apple, may include your voice, image or likeness. By accepting the WWDC19 Scholarship and attending WWDC19, you agree
that Apple may use such photographs, audio and/or video, including those that may contain your voice, image or likeness,
for any purpose on a worldwide basis in perpetuity, without any compensation to you, and you release Apple from all liability