"Adjustable. Swipe up or down with one finger to adjust the value" is in a wrong language

An app I am developing has settings to change a language inside. To put it simple, let's assume I use my phone in German and have set the app language to English. There's a slider with the accessibility trait "adjustable". The problem is that VoiceOver reads English mixed with German using an English voice. The whole message when the slider becomes focused is something like "Your slider. Chosen value: one. Einstellbar. Zum Anpassen des Werts mit einem Finger nach oben oder unten streichen."

I tried setting accessibiltyLanguage and implementing my own gesture recognition of swipes. Nothing helped.

Do you know any solution?

Replies

VoiceOver uses system (or app) language. How do you change language ?

Note: Is it really a question about WWDC21-10121 as your tag hints ? You'll get better and faster answers with more appropriate tag.

• VoiceOver is supposed to use the app's language. I can change the language with my own settings inside the app. It is done with NSLocalizedString (https://nshipster.com/nslocalizedstring/). My problem is that I don't know what to do with the text automatically pasted by Apple when something is adjustable. I want my sliders to be accessible in appropriate language and behave as adjustable.

To the note: You're right that It isn't. I quickly chose an option that had something to do with accessibility. I'm new to Apple and I find it really strange as I can't edit neither my post nor my tags.

Add a Comment

iOS has built-in functionality in Settings for choosing a preferred language per-app. We don't recommend you try to replicate this functionality within the app itself as this makes it more challenging for system behaviours to determine the right thing.

VoiceOver itself supports multiple languages using the Languages rotor. If you are still seeing this behaviour when switching languages using the Languages Rotor, please let us know using the Feedback Assistant (and let me know the number of the issue you've filed). Thanks!

• Thanks! To be sure we understand one another: In Settings / Accessibility / VoiceOver / Speech / ROTOR LANGUAGES I have English (Samantha), Dutch (Xander) and German (Anna). In ... / VoiceOver / Rotor I have Language checked and disabled from unchecking. The bug is still here! In Settings / "My App" / PREFERRED LANGUAGE I have English and the language of my iPhone is German. The bug is still here! I'm new to iOS development but if a thing has the property accessibilityLanguage set to "en" and the reading voice is an English native speaker one, I consider it a bug that I hear also a phrase in German read immediately afterwards with the same English voice. I'll wait a little bit more for your or any other answer but I think I'll have to use the Feedback Assistant.

• Yep, that seems to me like a bug. Please do file this with Feedback Assistant (and let me know the number on here once you do). Thanks again!

• You've finally sent the sent with Feedback Assistant. The number is FB9852878. Thank you very much!

Add a Comment