App crashing immediately on start up after upgrading to iOS12.

• Running fine in simulator but crashes in device.
  • No crash logs recorded.
  • In line error shown after launching the app Thread 1: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (code=1, address=0x81b4288100000002).
  • No main or didFinishLaunchingWithOptions is called yet.
  • Tried re-installing the application. Tried "Eare All Content and Settings" but it does not work.
  • Enabled zombie objects but even that did not help(no logs recorded).

main method

int main(int argc, char * argv[]) {

@autoreleasepool {

return UIApplicationMain(argc, argv, nil, NSStringFromClass([AppDelegate class]));

}

}

Replies

It’s hard to say what’s going on here without more information about the crash. Please post a symbolicated Apple crash report, per Technote 2151 Understanding and Analyzing iOS Application Crash Reports.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Hello Abhishek

Did you find any solution for the above issue? I am facing the same issue.

Let me know, you find any solution.

Hello Eskimo,

I face the same issue as a face by Abhishek. I have attached the link that downloads my crash report.

Please check this issue and update me as soon as possible.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4q1bljtdn98xzvo/eBook%20%2002-10-18%2C%207-27%20PM.crash?dl=0

Thanks for the crash report. This part of the report:

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Subtype: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0xbed59ae800000001

indicates that the app crashed because it’s accessing an invalid pointer, one that doesn’t point to mapped memory. And indeed that pointer looks really weird, being way up in high memory.

And here’s the backtrace of the crashing thread:

Thread 0 Crashed:
0 libsystem_platform.dylib … _platform_strcmp + 8
1 eBook                    … 0x100b50000 + 5833168
2 eBook                    … 0x100b50000 + 5833432
3 libobjc.A.dylib          … call_load_methods + 184
…

Frame 3 indicates that the Objective-C runtime is calling a

+load
method on some class. Frames 2 through 1 are your code, and they’re not symbolicated so it’s hard to say what’s going on. Frame 0 indicates that your code called
strcmp
, which is what crashed.
strcmp
will only crash if you pass it bogus parameters, so you need to investigate why your app has done that.

The next step here is to symbolicate your crash report to uncover the identity of frames 2 through 1. Technote 2151 Understanding and Analyzing iOS Application Crash Reports has info on symbolication.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

Hi!

I have the same issue - did you manged to fix it ?

Did you fixed it?

Rather than posting bumps I recommend that you address the last point in my 2 Oct post, that is, you need to get a symbolicated crash report so that you can uncover the identity of the code making this bogus

strcmp
call.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

HI,

I am new to ios, and actually didn't really understand how to do that.(got in to the link and went lost)

Any further guidelines will be very helpful for me. could you help me with that?

Thank in advance,

Lior.

First things first, where did you get the crash report from?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

I'm with the same problem and I got this from my Crashes on my Archive Organizer. Any help?

Thread 0

0 _platform_strcmp

1 iterate_super_classes

2 cr_detectClasses

3 call_load_methods

--------------------------

11 _dyld_start

Hi!

I finally managed to solve this bug , thanks for your help!

For any one else who had a crash in iOS 12 and have old Crittercism SDK in his project please see this post:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/52515031/application-crashes-after-upgrading-device-to-ios12/52803939#52803939

my comment is under the name "Lior cohen".

Cheers!

Try this: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/52515031/application-crashes-after-upgrading-device-to-ios12/52803939#52803939

If not helped, there is something in your pods or other settings that cause this crash. be patient and do some digging.

Just disable Metal validation in Run settings.