Device to device migration with DEP devices not working

Dear Apple developer community,

i am trying to successfully use the device to device migration feature which was introduced in iOS 12.4

I am a developer for a mobile client management solution and we have the problem that we cannot use this feature when DEP devices are involed. As long as we use devices which are not included in the DEP program, we can directly migrate our data from one device to another.

It doesn't matter if the source and target devices are supervised or not. (both devices iOS 13.1)

We do not use the DEP profile setting "DeviceToDeviceMigration" to skip this setup step.

We do not use the configuration profile restriction "allowProximitySetupToNewDevice" (default true)

So in theory, there should be no problem using this feature.

When i leave the DEP program with the target device, I can again use the feature.

Is there anything we are missing or is this a bug in iOS 13.1?

Greetings,

Mike

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of MikeBaramundi Down vote post of MikeBaramundi
8.3k views
  • Anyone found a way to resolve this?

• Apple's support article "Use Quick Start to transfer data to a new iPhone or iPad" has this verbiage at the bottom:

"If your new device is enrolled in Apple School Manager or Apple Business Manager, you can't use Quick Start to transfer data from your current device."

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210216

The article was recently updated, so appears iOS 16 has the same limitation.

Add a Comment

Replies

I am experiencing the same issue, no advice from this from Apple Enterprise support.

I have tried a mix of DEP profiles with some limited "skip" functions enabled and also a blank profile to no avail.

In the first, the setup of the iPhone is very quick and there is no data transfer

In the second, the setup gets stuck at "Setting up your Apple ID" and stays like that for hours!

This is really disappointing

Anyone found anything about regarding this? I'm not a dev, but I've got 60 phones to replace with users who don't have icloud storage and found out this isn't an option anymore.

I opened a case with Apple about this issue. Apparently it is by design. Direct transfer would copy any management profiles over to a new device. When the new device checks with Apple and it sees that it's DEP enabled, it will not allow that option as it would overwrite the management profile already pushed to the device. This is more likely a limitation witht he Direct Transfer capabilities, which was probably just designed with consumers in mind, and not enterprise.

Not sure why iCloud restores to a new device know to exclude the management profiles though.

I see this was posted a year ago. Has there been any update since then? Next quarter I will have 1100 iPhones to update and we don't want to have to do a local backup to iTunes for each one. The transfer from one device to the other works great without DEP, but when DEP is enabled, I lose that option altogether.

Any update on this issue? I have the "Device to Device Migration" turned on, but it does not come up during setup

This feature has been deprecated if the target device is in DEP since iOS 13 to avoid issues.

Hello guys, some update about this problem? We are with same problem, the device is managed using ABM, and when starts this option do not show.

If this feature has been deprecated, there should be a explainer when attempting this. Currently, it silently fails, which is very confusing.

Apple's support article "Use Quick Start to transfer data to a new iPhone or iPad" has this verbiage at the bottom: 

"If your new device is enrolled in Apple School Manager or Apple Business Manager, you can't use Quick Start to transfer data from your current device." 

The article was recently updated, so appears iOS 16 has the same limitation.

Thank you for pointing that out dansandiego, the answer was right in front of me. ;)