"Placeholder Developer" when activating multiple system extensions

Hi,

When I try to activate multiple system extensions at the same time, the sheet shows "Placeholder Developer" rather than the name of the developer. Both system extensions have been signed with distribution provision profile and they will run without problem if I allow them in System Preferences - Security & Privacy.

Is there anything I can do to change "Placeholder Developer" to show my name, or an issue to fix in next macOS release?

I have tested on 10.15.3 (19D76) and 10.15.4 beta 4 (19E250c).

PS: there should be a screenshot but I don't know how to post it.

The dialog is System Preferences - Security & Privacy, General Tab.

On the bottom a label shows "Some system software was blocked from loading." with a "Allow..." button on the right.

After clicking the "Allow..." button, a sheet appears, titled "System software from following developers was blocked from loading."

The list in sheet contains two identical items: "Placeholder Developer" with a checkbox on the left.

Replies

PS: there should be a screenshot but I don't know how to post it.

Unfortunately DevForums doesn’t support images. Please post your image elsewhere and then post a link here (that’ll require moderator approvable, but I can take care of that).

Is there anything I can do to change "Placeholder Developer" to show my name, or an issue to fix in next macOS release?

Honestly, this sounds like a bug, and I encourage you to file it as such. Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Thanks for quick response, I have filed FB7621320 or https://feedbackassistant.apple.com/feedback/7621320

Screenshot from the bug report https://imgur.com/a/WhZwtej

FYI

I just ran across the same problem today. When trying to install my applications (one with network exension and one with endpoint extension), both had "Placeholder Developer" showing.

In my case, there were also 2 applications pending approval. One was Dropbox (which showed the Dropbox name), and the other was my program (showing "Placeholder Developer").

I'll file a bug report too (squeeky wheel)

Please I want Xcode TestFlight bêta develop please 🙏-1F3FB;🙏-1F3FB;🙏-1F3FB;

Did you found any solution for this issue?
I have come across same issue on 10.15.6 os.

Is it possible to keep both Network extension and endpoint security extension in same container app?

Did you found any solution for this issue?

This is a bug in the OS (FB7621320). We believe it’s fixed in the latest macOS 11.0b3 seed.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

I just started getting this on my older Mid 2012 Macbook Pro. Using Catalina, 10.15.7. am fully updated and it is still showing this. Am worried to accept these w/ the generic name of "Placeholder Developer."

Was a bug update released or is this still an ongoing issue? Please let me know the best way to fix this.

Was a bug update released or is this still an ongoing issue?

To quote myself here:

We believe it’s fixed in the latest macOS 11.0b3 seed.

So, if you’re running macOS 11.0 or later, you shouldn’t see this bug. If you do, please file a new bug about that. This does not apply on earlier systems though. It sounds like you’re running 10.15.7, and that does not contain this fix.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"