On Catalina, how to add an iOS 9.3 simulator ?

Now, my Mac have updated to the Catalina, and Xcode version is 11.5. But my company developed app still support iOS 9.0 . Now I have no 9.0 device. And I have to download a 9.0 iOS simulator. I have tried to search on the Internet , there is no answer . So I want apple engineers to help me . thks

Replies

You need to install an Xcode version that supports iOS 9.0 simulator, like Xcode 10.2.1 and download and install the iOS 9 simulator in preferences.

Catalina supports iOS 10.3 and later simulator runtimes. If you need to test with iOS 9.x simulator runtimes, you will need to remain on Mojave.

• This is a decidedly unhelpful answer, considering that we have no way to downgrade either Xcode or Mac OS. If you know of a way to do either or both, please let us know. "Remain on Mojave" is not possible for, I'd guess, 99.99% of your developers. I'm trying to write apps so that people with outdated devices (i.e iOS 9.3) can still put them to some use. For example, I have two old iPads (iPad 2 and iPad 4) that are fully usable as a clock & weather display, but you have made it impossible for me to support them on an ongoing basis. Shame on you.

• It is possible to have Mojave and Catalina on the same Mac if they are installed on separate disk volumes. APFS can do this with 'soft' partitions that don't require reformatting the physical disk. Use 'System Preferences/Startup Disk' to decide which volume is used as the startup volume. I have been doing this since macOS High Sierra to support my clients' apps that still work on iOS 9.

Add a Comment