Alternative display server or manipulating Quartz Compositor

Hi hackers,

I've been investigating different display servers / window managers for OS X and other platforms. Please forgive the ignorance since I am new to the OS X kernel and core OS.


Is it possible (via APIs or undocumented hacks) to either replace or manipulate the display manager for OSX? For example, creating a display server that uses the Wayland protocol and wanting OS X to run it instead of what it currently does (nor use the X11 layer). I am specifically talking about a real "desktop environment replacement" and not addons that enable existing window manipulation.


Seems that this stuff is pretty closed to those outside of Apple. Is that correct? Thanks for educating me.

Is it possible (via APIs or undocumented hacks) to either replace or manipulate the display manager for OSX?

Well, “undocumented hacks” are not an appropriate topic for DevForums but, in general, the OS X window server is not a user-serviceable part (-:

Share and Enjoy
—
Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

If I may ask, what's the difference between the window server and the quartz compositor? Or are they the same thing? I see both phrases used in documentation:



quartz compositor: https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/CocoaDrawingGuide/GraphicsContexts/GraphicsContexts.html


window server: https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/WinPanel/Introduction.html

The Quartz Compositor is a subsystem within the window server. The window server handles a lot more than compositing. For example, all UI events are routed via the window server.

Share and Enjoy
—
Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Rock on, thanks for clearing that up!

Alternative display server or manipulating Quartz Compositor
 
 
Q