How to access serial port with connect OTG with iPhone and external device

Hello Guys,

I am trying to access serial port of external device, this external device is connected with iPhone with OTG cable.

Is it possible to access the information of external device (like Device ID and Device Version) in iPhone ?

And is it possible to connect external device with Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter (MD821ZM/A) to iPhone.

and access serial port.

Thanks & Regards,

Ammy

Replies

Hello Everyone ,

I am trying to access serial port of external device, this external device is connected with iPhone with OTG cable.

Is it possible to access the information of external device (like Device ID and Device Version) in iPhone ?

And is it possible to connect external device with Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter (MD821ZM/A) to iPhone.

and access serial port.

Please help me out. i am not able to figure it out.

Thanks & Regards,

Ammy

Access to the USB serial profile from an iOS device may require enrolling in the MFi program and manufacturing a special custom cable. See: https://developer.apple.com/programs/mfi/

Another possible option is to use Core Bluetooth to connect to a BLE serial port bridge device (Arduino,et.al.?). Core Bluetooth comm does not require MFi.

Thank You Sir.

Great help with this.

• Hey, reach me out at "thedumbinventor-attherate-gmail.com" , I would like to know more about USB Serial Access on iOS devices! Thank you.

Add a Comment
Was this ever solved?

Was this ever solved?

It’s still the case that iOS has no mechanism for accessing generic serial devices. See this post for more.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Get Console has an app in the store and sells lightning to DB-9 serial (which also require an external 5v power supply), or you use their USB-C to Serial cable. I hope this is what you are looking for.

M

Redpark has been shipping MFI-certified RS-232 serial cables for iPhone and iPad for more than 10 years. USB-C versions were released last year.