Failed to open "Security and Privacy" In the presence of Network Extension

Hi

My App installs Transparent App Proxy And DNS Network System extensions on macOS Big Sur. Everything was working fine till Big Sur beta 5.

Big Sur beta 6+, I am observing problem in approving the Network System extensions.

My application calls below API:

Code Block
[[OSSystemExtensionManager sharedManager] submitRequest:req];

requestNeedsUserApproval callback is also called by framework.

systemextensionsctl list

It shows all Network extensions in user approval pending list.

When I click on System Preferences -> "Security and Privacy" to approve my extensions.

It throws "Preferences Error", There was an error in "Security and Privacy". And Console log shows:

Sep 18 22:03:57 New-Mac-mini com.apple.preference.security.remoteservice[917]: objc[917]: Class AWDSecurityPrefAutoUnlockSetup is implemented in both /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Security.prefPane/Contents/XPCServices/com.apple.preference.security.remoteservice.xpc/Contents/MacOS/com.apple.preference.security.remoteservice (0x10e665768) and /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Security.prefPane/Contents/MacOS/Security (0x111e9e6f8). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
Sep 18 22:04:02 New-Mac-mini com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.preference.security.remoteservice[917]): Service exited due to SIGILL | sent by exc handler[917]

Could you please guide me to get the root cause?

Regards,
Anand Choubey

Replies

We are also seeing this error as of beta 7. We did not have any issues opening Security & Privacy when approving our extension in the previous beta versions. It seems while any Network Extension is pending approval, the Security & Privacy crashes on every open. Once all extensions are removed via systemextensionsctl (or by calling OSSystemExtensionRequest.deactivationRequest) the pane is able to open again. Any insight on this would be really helpful!

Failed to open "Security and Privacy" In the presence of Network
Extension

Do either of you have a bug number for this?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"
Hey Quinn, I've submitted this issue as FB8712672, let me know if you need any additional information, thanks!

I've submitted this issue as FB8712672

Thanks. Unfortunately this bug is too new to offer any insight.

IMPORTANT I don’t see a sysdiagnose log attached to your bug report. In situations like this that report is absolutely vital. Please reproduce the problem, trigger a sysdiagnose log, and add it to the bug.

For more info on sysdiagnose logs, see our Bug Reporting > Profiles and Logs page.

Share and Enjoy

Hi

I already filed the bug FB8708473.

Thanks

IMPORTANT I don’t see a sysdiagnose log attached to
your bug report. In situations like this that report is absolutely
vital. Please reproduce the problem, trigger a sysdiagnose log, and add
it to the bug.

Hey Quinn, sorry about that, swore I attached one with the original submission, I've updated to include a sysdiagnose, the crash log from com.apple.preference.security.remoteservice, and a screenshot of the Preference Error. Please let me know if there is anything else that could be helpful.

Thanks!
Frank
Anand wrote:

I already filed the bug FB8708473.

Thanks.

Frank wrote:

I've updated to include a sysdiagnose

Thanks also.

Anand’s bug (FB8708473) is a little bit older and has been screened. To summarise:
  • This is a known bug (r. 67654647).

• It’s not fixed in the current macOS 11.0b7 seed.

• It’s affecting a wide range of users and is getting attention commensurate with that.

You should continue to test with macOS 11 beta seeds as they are released.

Share and Enjoy

Just to be clear…

It’s not fixed in the current macOS 11.0b7 seed.

It’s also not fixed in the 11.0b8 seed (which was an urgent release designed to squash another bug (r. 69093270) that was causing all sorts chaos).

Share and Enjoy

It seems that beta 9 solves this problem. At least on one of the 2 Mac platforms. I can't say about the other one.

It seems that beta 9 solves this problem.

Looks to be resolved on our end as well as of beta 9!