tccutil: Failed to reset microphone

Running 'tccutil reset microphone' gives the error message 'tccutil: Failed to reset microphone'. The same command worked in the past. Deleting the TCC.db files didn't help. In the console there is an error from the tccd daemon saying

handle_TCCAccessResetInternal: Invalid Service Name: kTCCServicemicrophone(Service name is invalid on this platform)

Any ideas?
  • In my case, the root cause was the ownership of the ~/Library/Application Support/com.apple.TCC/TCC.db file was incorrect. This file must be owned by me. Instead it was owned by some other user number.

Do all the stuff that allows you to modify TCC.db.chown the TCC.db to me.Restore all the stuff that prevents you from modifying TCC.db.tccutil reset MicrophonePerform the action in Zoom that caused it to prompt for permission.Say Yes.

Full details https://bit.ly/tccdbowner

Add a Comment

Replies

Try:

Code Block
% tccutil reset Microphone

Note the capital M.

The fact that tccutil provides no way to get a list of services that can be reset is a source of ongoing annoyance to me (r. 58754400, 15330520). Here’s my personal list of the most common ones:

Code Block
Accessibility
AddressBook
AppleEvents
Calendar
Camera
DeveloperTool
ListenEvent
MediaLibrary
Microphone
Photos
PhotosAdd
PostEvent
Reminders
ScreenCapture

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"
Thank you, that solved the problem!

In another thread someone asked me about the service names for System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Files and Folders, so here’s an extension to the list I posted above:

SystemPolicyDesktopFolder
SystemPolicyDocumentsFolder
SystemPolicyDownloadsFolder
SystemPolicyNetworkVolumes
SystemPolicyRemovableVolumes

Share and Enjoy

And here’s one more that crops up regularly:

SystemPolicyAllFiles

And there’s one other detail I’d like to record: Some TCC services are system wide and some are per user. It’s easy to tell which is which using the following process:

1. Set up a fresh Mac (I typically do this by restoring a VM from a fresh snapshot).

2. Log in as user A.

3. Enable the TCC service, either explicitly in System Preferences or implicitly by perform an action that presents a confirmation, depending on the service itself.

4. Log out.

5. Log in as user B.

6. Is the service enabled?

Needless to say, that’s a bunch o’ work, so here’s a list of the services mentioned above that I are currently (macOs 12.2) system wide:

Accessibility
DeveloperTool
ListenEvent
PostEvent
ScreenCapture
SystemPolicyAllFiles

Share and Enjoy

Has anyone found a way to get a list of services? I have services from OneDrive (and more than one account) and would love to be able to querry what those service names are.

Has anyone found a way to get a list of services?

Sadly, there’s still no good way to do this. The bugs referenced in my original post remain unfixed.

Share and Enjoy

I adapted the magic command referenced by: https://recoursive.com/2020/03/03/reset_macos_privacy_permissions/ on Monterey generate the list below.

Hope this helps...

strings /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/TCC.framework/Versions/A/Resources/tccd | fgrep kTCCService | fgrep -v ' ' | sed -e s/kTCCService// | sort

Accessibility AddressBook All AlwaysAllowedService.AppleEvents AppleEvents BluetoothAlways BluetoothPeripheral BluetoothWhileInUse Calendar Calls Camera ContactsFull ContactsLimited DeveloperTool ExposureNotification ExposureNotificationRegion FaceID Facebook FallDetection FileProviderDomain FileProviderPresence FocusStatus GameCenterFriends KeyboardNetwork LinkedIn ListenEvent Liverpool MSO MediaLibrary Microphone Motion NearbyInteraction Photos PhotosAdd PostEvent Prototype3Rights Prototype4Rights Reminders ScreenCapture SensorKitAmbientLightSensor SensorKitBedSensing SensorKitBedSensingWriting SensorKitDeviceUsage SensorKitElevation SensorKitFacialMetrics SensorKitForegroundAppCategory SensorKitKeyboardMetrics SensorKitLocationMetrics SensorKitMessageUsage SensorKitMotion SensorKitMotionHeartRate SensorKitOdometer SensorKitPedometer SensorKitPhoneUsage SensorKitSoundDetection SensorKitSpeechMetrics SensorKitStrideCalibration SensorKitWatchAmbientLightSensor SensorKitWatchFallStats SensorKitWatchForegroundAppCategory SensorKitWatchHeartRate SensorKitWatchMotion SensorKitWatchOnWristState SensorKitWatchPedometer SensorKitWatchSpeechMetrics ShareKit SinaWeibo Siri SpeechRecognition SystemPolicyAllFiles SystemPolicyDesktopFolder SystemPolicyDeveloperFiles SystemPolicyDocumentsFolder SystemPolicyDownloadsFolder SystemPolicyNetworkVolumes SystemPolicyRemovableVolumes SystemPolicySysAdminFiles TencentWeibo Twitter Ubiquity UserAvailability UserTracking WebKitIntelligentTrackingPrevention Willow