Picked asset files in system folder not cleaned yet after backup?

After backup my iPad (iOS 15 beta.8) through Finder (or iTunes on Windows), I could browse the backup folder using tools like 'iMazing'.

And I found there are remaining asset files in this folder 「AppDomainGroup-group.com.apple.mobileslideshow.PhotosFileProvider\File Provider Storage\photospicker」which are picked by PHPickerViewController.

I wondered why they were not cleaned by system and how long they will be kept?

Thanks for your reading and looking forward the answers!

Replies

They are considered as cache files and will be automatically deleted if your device doesn’t have enough storage. Please file a bug report if you think they aren’t correctly deleted when needed. Thanks!

• Thanks for reply, Also I want to know, how to prevent leaving cached files in this folder mentioned before after picking files from PHPickerViewController ?

I had tried several apps and found that 「Gmail」and iOS built-in app like 「Notes」won't leave cached files after picking. (Also verified that through backup file) And 「Microsoft Outlook」will leave cached files after picking.

Is there a way to do that? Like removing cached after picking ?

Thanks for your reading and looking forward the answers!

• Hi, I encounter this issue with Synology "DS File" app and every picture or video I upload has a copy in this folder. This folder is currently 4GB and it has never been cleaned. I have reproduced the issue on other devices (with iOS 15).

The major issue is that the folder is included in the iCloud / iTunes backup since iOS 15. So I had to change my iCloud plan and pay for it. It's a big issue with money impact. There's no need to keep these files and no need to backup it ! Under iOS 14, I could not see the issue because there was no impact on the backup. With iOS 15 release, this issue will have a very big impact for some users.

Thanks for understanding.

Add a Comment