iOS 15 crash: Fatal Exception: NSInternalInconsistencyException Invalid parameter not satisfying: pos

Hi,

I've seen a couple of crashes in iOS 15 that I've never seen before.

From what I can tell it seems to be caused when a user pastes text from one application to another.

Could somebody help me verify that:

1. The crash is caused by pasting from another app.
  2. The crash is caused by an iOS defect and not a defect in my app.
code-blockFatal Exception: NSInternalInconsistencyException
0  CoreFoundation                 0x91cac __exceptionPreprocess
1  libobjc.A.dylib                0x14758 objc_exception_throw
2  Foundation                     0x12361c _userInfoForFileAndLine
3  UIKitCore                      0x10b6ffc -[_UITextKitTextPosition compare:]
4  UIKitCore                      0x2065c -[UITextInputController comparePosition:toPosition:]
5  UIKitCore                      0x10c1b5c -[UITextView comparePosition:toPosition:]
6  UIKitCore                      0x108de4c -[UITextPasteController _clampRange:]
7  UIKitCore                      0x108e5cc __87-[UITextPasteController _performPasteOfAttributedString:toRange:forSession:completion:]_block_invoke
8  UIKitCore                      0x108e7c8 __87-[UITextPasteController _performPasteOfAttributedString:toRange:forSession:completion:]_block_invoke.174
9  UIKitCore                      0x10b35e4 -[UITextInputController _pasteAttributedString:toRange:completion:]
10 UIKitCore                      0x108e518 -[UITextPasteController _performPasteOfAttributedString:toRange:forSession:completion:]
11 UIKitCore                      0x108d820 __49-[UITextPasteController _executePasteForSession:]_block_invoke
12 libdispatch.dylib              0x632ec _dispatch_call_block_and_release
13 libdispatch.dylib              0x642f0 _dispatch_client_callout
14 libdispatch.dylib              0x109a0 _dispatch_main_queue_callback_4CF$VARIANT$mp
15 CoreFoundation                 0x4d7f8 __CFRUNLOOP_IS_SERVICING_THE_MAIN_DISPATCH_QUEUE__
16 CoreFoundation                 0xb0f8 __CFRunLoopRun
17 CoreFoundation                 0x1dd8c CFRunLoopRunSpecific
18 GraphicsServices               0x19a0 GSEventRunModal
19 UIKitCore                      0x4ee018 -[UIApplication _run]
20 UIKitCore                      0x28229c UIApplicationMain
21 TOFS_AppStore                  0x71b0 main + 18 (AppDelegate.swift:18)
22 ???                            0x1030f0190 (Missing)
  • The crash is caused by an iOS defect and not a defect in my app. > Does your code contain any code to do with copy & paste programmatically?

• No. There's absolutely no code in my application to do with copying and pasting programmatically.

• Does your project has any third party libraries? If so, have you checked all of them are free from copy & paste code?

Accepted Reply

In my case this was caused by users copying and pasting into a UITableView Form. The solution was to not use cell reuse. This can be easily accomplished by adding something like the row number to the cell identifier string.

Replies

I am experiencing the same issue. Did you ever figure out what was happening?

• Yes I did. Please refer to my new answer below.

Add a Comment

In my case this was caused by users copying and pasting into a UITableView Form. The solution was to not use cell reuse. This can be easily accomplished by adding something like the row number to the cell identifier string.

I do have the same issue. It somewhat randomly happens on copy/paste in UITextFields in UITableViewCells.

I can also catch it in the debugger and I get the following: *** Assertion failure in -[_UITextKitTextPosition compare:], UITextKitTextViewEditingSupport.m:43. This does seem to be an iOS issue and not an issue in my code.

Others have also written about this issue:

Some people are suggesting to implement UITextPasteDelegate to work around the issue. In a large app implementing UITextPasteDelegate on all textfields is very cumbersome and I don't think that this is really the solution to this problem.

Has anyone found a better solution for this issue?

Will it eventually be fixed in a future iOS update?

Make sure you set the .text value to nil in prepareForReuse when using UITextView within a Cell. In my case not setting UITextView.text to nil somehow caused some inconsistency issues regarding "pos" when pasting text, leading to a crash.

We haven't seen any instances of this crash in our app on iOS 15.5, so I think it may have been finally been fixed in that release of iOS.