Installing custom root certificates in AppleTV Simulator

I'm attempting to develop an enterprise AppleTV app, but the organization uses their own in-house certificate authority for HTTPS communication (their root certificate is used to sign second-level certificates used by various web services with which this app would communicate). Their AppleTV hardware devices already receive and trust the root certificate as part of their MDM payload, so physical devices don't have an issue communicating those with web services. While developing in the AppleTV Simulator, however, I encounter an invalid certificate error because my Simulator doesn't have that root certificate. I have a copy of the certificate on hand, but can't figure out how to get it into the AppleTV Simulator.

I've followed the instructions here (under the "tvOS Device and Simulator" heading), but they don't work for tvOS 15.2:

https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/qa/qa1948/_index.html

If I navigate the AppleTV Simulator to Settings > General > About, there is no Certificate Trust Settings option -- just Name, Model, Serial Number, OS version, resolution, and networking information.

Similarly, when I navigate to Settings > General > Privacy and select Share Apple TV Analytics, pressing or holding the Play/Pause button (on the virtual AppleTV remote) does not bring up an Add Profile view.

What is the current way to add a custom root certificate to the AppleTV 15.2 Simulator, and can the docs be updated to reflect the new steps?

Accepted Reply

Huh. I restarted the AppleTV Simulator, and now pressing Play/Pause while Share Apple TV Analytics is highlighted does bring up the screen where you can enter a URL to a profile or root certificate to install. Only once a new root certificate is installed does the Certificate Trust Settings appear in Settings → General → About, where you can mark it as a trusted root.

Replies

Huh. I restarted the AppleTV Simulator, and now pressing Play/Pause while Share Apple TV Analytics is highlighted does bring up the screen where you can enter a URL to a profile or root certificate to install. Only once a new root certificate is installed does the Certificate Trust Settings appear in Settings → General → About, where you can mark it as a trusted root.

thanks @command_tab I was facing exactly the same issue. The fix works for me too !!