Migration to notarytool from altool

Hi,

I have a problem with replacing altool to notarytool to notarize my app for distribution outside AppStore. Earlier I used this code (-p passes App's password):

xcrun altool --notarize-app --primary-bundle-id "MyProductBundleID" -u "myname@gmail.com" -p "wxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx" --file MyProduct.zip

I wrote a new script:

xcrun notarytool submit MyProduct.zip --keychain-profile "wxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx" --wait

Error with unknown "--keychain-profile".

Replies

The --keychain-profile does not accept a password. Rather, it takes the name of a profile that you previously created with the store-credentials subcommand. The notarytool man page has the syntax for this and, in the Examples section, a concrete example of how to use it.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Thanks, I'll try this.

I had some trouble creating the keychain profile, so I'll share some tips I found in getting it to work.

First, for your team ID, don't enter the name as entered in "Development Team" in the signing section of your Xcode project settings. Hover over the name and use the 10-character code that appears there.

When the terminal asks for your app-specific password, I wasn't able to paste it. I had to type the whole thing, and do it blindly since the terminal doesn't show you what you're typing.

Once the keychain profile was created, the terminal command worked great. I like how the --wait option gives confirmation of success right in the terminal window, rather than having to wait for an email.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

When the terminal asks for your app-specific password, I wasn't able to paste it.

That’s weird. I paste passwords into Terminal prompts all the time.

Oh, and just FYI, I recently published a technote on this exact topic: TN3147 Migrating to the latest notarization tool.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"