Connect controller from game (without settings.app)

I'm trying to understand the startWirelessControllerDiscovery method from GCController.

I'm able to pair a Playstation controller in Settings.app > Bluetooth. It works perfectly in my game afterward.

But I'm also trying to let the user perform the pairing directly from the game. The controller is unknown to the device at this point. I'm executing startWirelessControllerDiscovery in the code but nothing happens. The controller is in "pairing mode" but isn't connecting/pairing. My expectation would be that the controller connects to the device in the same way as manually selecting it from settings.

If startWirelessControllerDiscovery isn't supporting this scenario then what is the intended purpose?

Replies

Hi Thomas

Unfortunately, it's a known issue (r.57665987) with no workaround (other than prompting the user to open Settings to pair their gamepad). If you don't mind, please submit a feedback report. It really helps us to hear what problems developers are encountering in our frameworks as we prioritize engineering efforts.