Apple TV volume stopped working after tvOS 16 update

Before updating to tvOS 16 I was able to control the volume of my stereo with the Apple TV remote. After the update to 16, the volume control and mute stopped working. I can't be certain that it was due to the update, but the timing seems to coincide.

I tried to reprogram the remote. The Apple TV can recognize when I press the volume and mute buttons on the stereo remote, but then the Apple TV remote still can't control the volume.

The light on the Apple TV flashes when I press the volume and mute button on the Apple TV remote, but there is no volume change. The Apple TV and stereo are sitting next to each other and there is no obstruction. The remote battery power is 89%.

I am still able to control volume using the stereo remote, but I'd rather not have to juggle two remotes.

Is it possible to downgrade to the previous tvOS release to verify that it was caused by 16? Any other suggestions to fix the issue?

Thanks!

Answered by sarah15 in 728678022

Reseting to factory defaults and reprogramming the remote fixed the issue. The issue is resolved.

Accepted Answer

Reseting to factory defaults and reprogramming the remote fixed the issue. The issue is resolved.

i have exactly the same problem and it is very annoying so if anybody has something to help us that would be nice i already reboot and it worked for a week but after the problem just came back

Yeah, I have 5 Apple TV 4K all with surround receivers and same exact issue. After updating. I can lo longer control the volume on any of them. Tried everything I could think of but can’t get it working.

Same issue here! Latest generation Apple TV 4K and after tvOS 16, everything with my Siri Remote works except volume down! It’s driving me insane, I have factory reset and restarted every device in my setup, including my TV, soundbar, and Apple TV. This has to be a software issue.

I have the same issue. Like other commenters, I reset the remote. It worked for a minute and then stopped again. I have an older-generation Apple tv (no idea which one, but its about 4 years old) and a new (less than 3 months old) Gen 2 Siri remote.

In other words, I spent $60 on a new Siri remote and the freaking thing does not even control the TV volume anymore, so I find myself having to get up and change the volume on the TV manually. You had one job $60 Apple remote... one job!!

Hi there,

You might have better luck asking this question over in Apple Support Communities run by Apple Support.

I had this problem again (original poster). Rather than do a full reset of the Apple TV, I found this page that describes how to reboot the remote:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203777

Followed the steps and it fixed the volume issue. Again.

At least it's quicker and easier than a full reset. Hope this helps someone else experiencing the issue.

Apple TV volume stopped working after tvOS 16 update

Q