CryptoTokenKit persistent token extension + SSH PKCS#11 authentication doesn't work

I am building a CryptoTokenKit based persistent token extension where :

1. the private key is generated in Secure Enclave (the idea is not to store the private key on disk)
  2. CSR is sent to a server
  3. signed OpenSSH cert is received and is on the disk along with the public key i.e id_foo-cert.pub, id_foo.pub
  4. the private key ref is stored in the token driver
 // Mac keychain can't store OpenSSH certificate so set as nil
  let tokenKey = TKTokenKeychainKey(certificate: certificate, objectID: tag)
// Add to the keychain for future access by SSH
  tokenConfig.keychainItems.append(tokenKey)

My extension is loaded :

% system_profiler SPSmartCardsDataType                      
SmartCards:

Readers:

Reader Drivers:

#01: fr.apdu.ccid.smartcardccid:1.5.0 (/usr/libexec/SmartCardServices/drivers/ifd-ccid.bundle)

SmartCard Drivers:

#01: com.apple.CryptoTokenKit.pivtoken:1.0 (/System/Library/Frameworks/CryptoTokenKit.framework/PlugIns/pivtoken.appex)
   #02: com.foo.mac-device-check.SecureEnclaveTokenExtension:1.0 (/Applications/mac_device_check.app/Contents/PlugIns/SecureEnclaveTokenExtension.appex)

Available SmartCards (keychain):

com.apple.setoken:

com.apple.setoken:aks:

com.foo.mac-device-check.SecureEnclaveTokenExtension:700D6B7E8943B529569D9CC81AC6F930:

#01: Kind: private ECDSA 256-bit, Certificate: no, Usage: Sign Derive 
Valid from: N/A to: N/A, SSL trust: N/A, X509 trust: N/A

Available SmartCards (token):

com.apple.setoken:

com.apple.setoken:aks:

com.foo.mac-device-check.SecureEnclaveTokenExtension:700D6B7E8943B529569D9CC81AC6F930:

#01: Kind: private ECDSA 256-bit, Certificate: no, Usage: Sign Derive 
Valid from: N/A to: N/A, SSL trust: N/A, X509 trust: N/A
% security list-smartcard
No smartcards found.

When I SSH to a remote with this ssh_config below it doesn't load the CTK app extension at all:

Host test
 HostName abc.foo.com
 User foo_user
 AddKeysToAgent yes
 UseKeychain yes
 CertificateFile ~/.ssh_certificates/id_foo-cert.pub
 PKCS11Provider /usr/lib/ssh-keychain.dylib

Debug logs :

debug1: Connecting to abc.foo.com port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: provider /usr/lib/ssh-keychain.dylib: manufacturerID <Apple, Inc.> cryptokiVersion 2.20 libraryDescription <Keychain emulation PKCS#11 API> libraryVersion 0.0
debug1: pkcs11_register_provider: provider /usr/lib/ssh-keychain.dylib returned no slots
debug1: Next authentication method: publickey
debug1: Offering public key: /Users/local/.ssh_certificates/id_foo-cert.pub ECDSA-CERT SHA256:c4uVaMJpVaAWg8gtAxMHtJIpNnZ67P/G9Dw2wx44Kgs explicit
debug2: we sent a publickey packet, wait for reply
debug1: Server accepts key: /Users/local/.ssh_certificates/id_foo-cert.pub ECDSA-CERT SHA256:c4uVaMJpVaAWg8gtAxMHtJIpNnZ67P/G9Dw2wx44Kgs explicit
debug1: sign_and_send_pubkey: no separate private key for certificate "/Users/local/.ssh_certificates/id_foo-cert.pub"
debug2: Passphrase not found in the keychain.
Load key "/Users/local/.ssh_certificates/id_foo-cert.pub": invalid format

Since pkcs11 returned no slots, the private key ref cannot be accessed for signing. I have tested this on Monterey 12.5 and Ventura 13.1 with the same failure.

Anyone knows if pkcs11 provider can launch a CTK app extension ? Is there anything wrong in my code/config ? Is there any sample settings/code for persistent token extension handling SSH keys ?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Replies

Edit: certificate is nil above i.e let tokenKey = TKTokenKeychainKey(certificate: nil, objectID: tag). I manually set all other properties as per the headerdocs.

More debug info :

% pluginkit -m -p com.apple.ctk-tokens
   com.apple.CryptoTokenKit.pivtoken(1.0)
   com.foo.mac-device-check.SecureEnclaveTokenExtension(1.0)
 % sudo security smartcards token -e com.foo.mac-device-check.SecureEnclaveTokenExtension
Token is already enabled.

Still no luck with pkcs11_register_provider: /usr/lib/ssh-keychain.dylib.

AFAIK you cannot use CTK app extension does not implement pkcs11 interface. The simplest way to use key generated in secure enclave for SSH I can think of is implementing of SSH Agent that will leverage Secure Enclave.

AFAIK you cannot use CTK app extension does not implement pkcs11 interface.

I believe that the ssh-keychain.dylib provides the bridge between the two. See the ssh-keychain man page for the details.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• Hi Quinn,

You are right that ssh-keychain.dylib is supposed to be the bridge. Can you please confirm if the shipping ssh-keychain.dylib can work with ECC keys as the CTK extension uses the EC keys from Secure Enclave ? This part is not clear from the man page.

• I think Apple's SSH agent and ssh-keychain do not currently support EC keys, so you might not be able to use SE keys with SSH.

Add a Comment