100% Inappropriate Behavior of a App Reviewer

Someone somewhere in Apple Development needs to do something. This just cannot be allowed to continue. This has been reported by many others before me .. but nothing changes.

What their Reviewers do borders on Assault which is a Crime.

How much longer?

The very capable folk such as Quinn are tarnished by working along side some of the Reviewers. I truly feel sorry for Quinn.

Submitted my Monster Paddle Pong App that operates on Apple TV and iPad with a Game Controller. 

SO the Tester uploads my App to their iPad and starts poking their finger all over the screen .. and NOTHING happens. 

Maybe their reading skills aren’t ample because that Game Controller requirement is delineated in sentence #1. 

Promotional Text:

Monster Paddle Pong is FUN! to play on a iPad + Apple TV with a Extended Game Controller. Match wits with your skill to react quickly. See the Description for more info.

Description Text:

Monster Paddle Pong is FUN! to play on a iPad or Apple TV with a Game Controller. It mischievously matches wits with your skill to react quickly.

It's 100% free, so give it a GO! 

Pressing the Right Shoulder Button starts the Game and causes the Dinossaur Ball to start moving .. and unless the Ball is moving the Monster Paddle will not move.

As a matter of fact, until this Right Shoulder Button is first pressed, only the Left Shoulder Button works (described below).

This makes sense because after all what’s so hard in hitting a stationary target? Right?

Use your Game Controller’s A, B, X, Y buttons & the Joysticks to move the Monster Paddle and hit the moving Dinossaur Ball.

If you’re successful then your Score in the upper right corner advances. If instead your Monster Paddle hits one of the 4 Walls, your score decreases by 1.

All this is graphically depicted in the About Scene which can be accessed by pressing your Controller’s Left Shoulder Button once.

BTW, press this Left Shoulder a 2nd time, and you will see my Credits Scene.

I don’t want to get too detailed here because a big part of FUN! is the thrill of Discovering.

So, feel free to DISCOVER, most notably pressing all the buttons on your Controller to see the MAGIC! each of them makes happen.

Post marked as downvoted Up vote post of JohnLove Down vote post of JohnLove
1.2k views
  • One addition = said Reviewer basically called me a LIAR when I said my App does not respond to touching the iPad screen.

At which point he/she demanded I send them a video of my App working on a real device BECAUSE the Xcode Simulator is no good.

I will NOT be called a LIAR.

Again, this is Assault in Spades.

This Reviewer merits firing without benefits.

I am 82 years old. Physically a wreck, but mentally very sharp.

This must not stand!

Add a Comment

Replies

I sympathise, but beware that if App Review do not read that far through the description then end-users most certainly won't. You'll end up with a lot of 1-star ratings with the same complaint that "nothing happens". Especially for a free app, users will look only at the app name and the icon and the rating and not much else.

Does the app present a "No controller detected" error message?

What do other app do?

• Good idea .. maybe a Splash Screen.

In the meantime .. look at my above comment. I just won’t tolerate this Assault on my integrity. It will not stand.

BTW some Apps on App Store do not send such a message or Splash Screen.

In its place is the same top tier stipulation that a Game Controller is required and highlighted in the description of the App on the App Store

• BTW my App is also designed for ATV. Please tell me how a gamer physically touches the TV screen? Please name one Game designed for ATV that does not require a Controller?

• I expect folk to be able to read the Description Text posted on the App Store. (1) Gamers typically hate written instructions so they rightfully assume a Computer Game requires a Controller. 95%. (2) Gamers typically just start pressing all Buttons and Joysticks to see what works. 95%. BOTTOM LINE Won’t Happen. One last thing - have contacted folk in headshed in Cupertino about being called a liar.

SO, I am very reluctant to go to a mountain of effort to satisfy 5% of the world.

Add a Comment

Note that this forum doesn't send email notifications when you post comments; it's better to always post replies.

The request to see a video is a good sign. If you submit an app that requires external hardware to operate, they will either ask you to send them physical hardware, which they won't return, or they will ask you to send a video. I once had to send a demo video of an app that included bluetooth communication. This is by far the better option of the two. You don't want to have to send them a new controller each time you submit an update.

Don't expect to get very far with your "liar" / "assault" accusations. I know it's difficult, but try not to take it personally. It's only an AI bot that's sending you those messages.

Gamers typically hate written instructions so they rightfully assume a Computer Game requires a Controller. 

I disagree. iPad owners don't read the app description so they assume an app they've downloaded will just work when they poke the screen with their finger. The situation may be a bit different with Apple TV, but your app is for both, right? I don't think I've ever seen anyone use an iPad with a game controller, ever.

I totally disagree with you that it’s a good sign.

I solemnly assure you my Father agrees with me.

Furthermore, just because you have never seen someone use a Controller with a iPad clearly does not say that anyone can’t.

There are over 370,000,000 folk in this country and you are only ONE.

“A bit different with Apple TV”???

Tell you what … the next time you turn on the TV, go up to the screen and tap it.

Let’s use some irrefutable LOGIC here.

I could easily send them a video. I definitely will NOT. But I could.

Said video would “show” using a Controller moving a game piece around a screen.

However with today’s Hollywood mentality it could all be fake.

Got a better idea … the Tester himself using their own Controller with MY App

Damn it works!!

The truth is the Tester is a lowly employee who is too lazy to get up and get a Controller.

The Tester has already proven it won’t work by poking the screen.

I have posted very poignant well crafted words via Promotion and Description that testify my App needs a Controller.

The above logic is irrefutable.

You don’t agree, but that’s your problem.

Wow!

I’m the guy who said “I sympathize” and tried to suggest what you need to do. Now you’re attacking me too!

There are over 370,000,000 folk in this country and you are only ONE.

Wrong, as it happens. I live in Scotland.

Bye!

I was poking holes in your logic, not you.

To quote you earlier, you shouldn’t take it personal

Bye

Here is my final transmission to the App Reviews:

=====

This strong reply is for you in iPad App Review and your counterparts in Apple TV App Review.

I will not provide a video that demonstrates the operation of my App on a real Device as you have demanded for the following 10 reasons:

(1) My promotional and description texts (1st sentence) clearly state the user needs a Game Controller. It doesn't get any plainer than that.

But you already know that, since the above texts are viewable to you.

(2) FYI, the above description text delineates in detail what the user needs to press on a Game Controller to get the game pieces moving.

(3) I do not own a iPad, only an iPhone + a Apple TV. My App clearly states my Builds are not the iPhone, just the iPad and for the Apple TV.

(4) You are positively dumb as a box of rocks if you think I am going to spend $800 just to satisfy a bunch of tyrants.

(5) With the existence of Hollywood level special effects, such a video could easily be fake.

(6) You have demonstrated that you are too blasted lazy to get a Game Controller and try it yourself. You want me to spend a boat load of $$ just because you are too damn lazy to spend 10 minutes with a Game Controller in your hands while playing my Game App either on a iPad or a Apple TV.

(7) You folk are just a bunch of tyrants who demonstrate that you think you think you are Almighty God who will crush developers if they do not bow to you.

(8) Even if I owned an iPad I will not bow to your dictatorial demands!

(9) I solemnly assure you that I will spare no effort to get most of you fired. And I have already started that effort by contacting the very top of Apple's App Development Directorate.

(10) Your tyranny will not be tolerated.

Do we understand one another?

John Love