Shiny app stops working after upgrade to iOS 16.4

After I upgrade my iPhone from iOS 16.3 to 16.4, my passkey apps stopped working, including the Shiny app.

I only updated the domain and web credentials entitlement from example.com to my domain name, nothing else, and Shiny was working fine on iOS 16.3.

After the update, the app is unresponsive when tapping the "sign in" or "Create Account" buttons. In the logs, I see:

2023-04-08 20:35:26.380433+0200 Shiny[843:46331] [Authorization] ASAuthorizationController credential request failed with error: Error Domain=com.apple.AuthenticationServices.AuthorizationError Code=1001 "(null)"
2023-04-08 20:35:26.425071+0200 Shiny[843:46331] Request canceled.

The AASA file also didn't change, and lists the correct domain.

$ curl https://rp.example.com/.well-known/apple-app-site-association
{
  "webcredentials": {
    "apps": [
      "UVWXYZ1234.com.example.apple-samplecode.ShinyUVWXYZ1234"
    ]
  }
}

where UVWXYZ1234 stands for my TEAMID and is also used as disambiguator.

Another app is also no longer working, but instead shows this log message:

2023-04-08 20:48:23.841219+0200 AppName[958:52549] [Authorization] ASAuthorizationController credential request failed with error: Error Domain=com.apple.AuthenticationServices.AuthorizationError Code=1004 "(null)"
2023-04-08 20:48:23.845169+0200 AppName[958:52549] ASAuthorization Error: ["NSLocalizedFailureReason": Application with identifier UVWXYZ1234.com.example.app is not associated with domain rp.example.com]

where rp.example.com is my domain name and UVWXYZ1234.com.example.app stands for my app's bundle ID.

Both log messages were absent when still running iOS 16.3

Has anything changed in iOS 16.4 that requires an update to these apps?

See also FB12105522.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of asjemenou Down vote post of asjemenou
1.8k views

Replies

Running into the same issue with the Shiny app. Our AASA file is being served from https://app-site-association.cdn-apple.com/a/v1/domain.com, however even with the bundle identifier for the sample project we are getting the same error re: "is not associated with domain"

update: edited formatting

We're experiencing the same issue with our app during passkey registration. I redacted the actual domain and app information below.

==== iOS 16.0.2 (app built with Xcode 14.2)

Passkey registration worked correctly with the following setup iOS 16.0.2 (app built with Xcode 14.2).

1. App association file in DOMAIN_URL has the content: { "webcredentials":{ "apps":["APP_ID.APP_BUNDLE_ID"] } }
  2. Associated domains in the project and developer mode is webcredentials:DOMAIN_URL?mode=developer
  3. On my iPhone, under Settings >> Developer, I have "Associated Domains Development" toggled on

==== iOS upgraded to 16.4.1 (re-ran the app built with Xcode 14.2)

After the upgrade I ran the same app and AuthenticationServices started showing this error in the logs.

ASAuthorizationController credential request failed with error: Error Domain=com.apple.AuthenticationServices.AuthorizationError Code=1004 "(null)"

==== Rebuilt the app for iOS 16.4.1 using Xcode 14.3

After rebuilding the app with Xcode 14.3 the error reason is

Error Domain=com.apple.AuthenticationServices.AuthorizationError Code=1004 "Application with identifier APP_ID.APP_BUNDLE_ID is not associated with domain DOMAIN_URL" UserInfo={NSLocalizedFailureReason=Application with identifier APP_ID.APP_BUNDLE_ID is not associated with domain DOMAIN_URL}

I wonder if any issues were introduced to the AuthenticationServices or to the debug options for Associated Domains.

This should be fixed in iOS 16.5. If you're still seeing this on 16.5 or later, please let us know!

• Same issue occurs.

• Please reproduce the issue and then file this through Feedback Assistant. We can't investigate logs we don't have :)

Add a Comment