User removal of security scoped bookmark

Hi, is it possible for a user to remove the implicit permission he or she gave to an app after opening a folder using a standard dialog? I'm asking this because a discussion took place with actual users reasonably arguing that the action may have been a mistake, not intentional at all, so at least we should give them a way to revert what was wrongly interpreted as intent. I believe that they are right and there should be a simple user-level way of doing that. So I looked for a way to remove the bookmark from the command line but to no avail. Thanks, Carlos.

It seems you asked a slightly different variant of this question over here. I’m responding again here because it’s not quite the same question.

Oh, and as I mentioned there, see On File System Permissions for terminology.

You wrote:

is it possible for a user to remove the implicit permission he or she gave to an app after opening a folder using a standard dialog?

So, there are two things in play here:

• Security-scoped bookmarks

• The extended attributes used by MAC

In the other thread you mentioned VSCode, which isn’t sandboxed and probably does nothing with security-scoped bookmarks. Hence my response there was focused on the MAC extended attributes.

However, the answer for security-scoped bookmarks is effectively the same: There’s no supported user-level way to revoke such a bookmark. The difference here is that the app gets to store the bookmark wherever it wants, so it’s not visible as an extended attribute in the file system.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Q