Correctly process HDR in Metal Core Image Kernels (& Metal)

I am trying to carefully process HDR pixel buffers (10-bit YCbCr buffers) from the camera. I have watched all WWDC videos on this topic but have some doubts expressed below.

Q. What assumptions are safe to make about sample values in Metal Core Image Kernels? Are the sample values received in Metal Core Image kernel linear or gamma corrected? Or does that depend on workingColorSpace property, or the input image that is supplied (though imageByMatchingToColorSpace() API, etc.)? And what could be the max and min values of these samples in either case? I see that setting workingColorSpace to NSNull() in context creation options will guarantee receiving the samples as is and normalised to [0-1]. But then it's possible the values are non-linear gamma corrected, and extracting linear values would involve writing conversion functions in the shader. In short, how do you safely process HDR pixel buffers received from the camera (which are in YCrCr420_10bit, which I believe have gamma correction applied, so Y in YCbCr is actually Y'. Can AVFoundation team clarify this?) ?