visionOS and IPSW files?

Is it possible to restore an Apple Vision Pro with Apple Configurator on a Mac and an IPSW file?

I would like to begin some network system extension development, but I would feel more comfortable if I could scrub and restore the OS in case something goes wrong.

Accepted Reply

Pretty sure you need the Developer Strap to do this (https://developer.apple.com/visionos/developer-strap/purchase)

• Yes, I found an article on 9to5Mac that said this strap could be used with with IPSW files:

Step 1: Disconnect the power cable.

Step 2: Connect a USB-C cable from the Apple Vision Pro Developer Strap to your Mac.

Step 3: Reconnect the power cable and immediately press and hold the Top button until the Connect to Mac glyph appears on the front of the Apple Vision Pro display.

Step 4: Launch Apple Configurator on the connected Mac, and click Action → Restore ...

Add a Comment

Replies

Pretty sure you need the Developer Strap to do this (https://developer.apple.com/visionos/developer-strap/purchase)

• Yes, I found an article on 9to5Mac that said this strap could be used with with IPSW files:

Step 1: Disconnect the power cable.

Step 2: Connect a USB-C cable from the Apple Vision Pro Developer Strap to your Mac.

Step 3: Reconnect the power cable and immediately press and hold the Top button until the Connect to Mac glyph appears on the front of the Apple Vision Pro display.

Step 4: Launch Apple Configurator on the connected Mac, and click Action → Restore ...

Add a Comment

It shouldn't be necessary to reinstall the OS in order to return the Vision Pro to a known good state. Erasing it should be sufficient, and this takes less time than reinstalling the OS.

• I'll try this tonight. I had a serious issues with Mac network system extensions distributed through TestFlight that I was only able to figure out by rolling back to previous OS versions with Apple Configurator and older IPSW files and then rolling forward through software updates, so I may have developed an unnatural fondness for Apple Configurator. :-)

• visionOS does not support system extensions like you see on macOS. It only supports app extensions such as network extensions.

Add a Comment