Crash in iOS18

I have a UITableView which contains a UICollectionView in the first row. It used to work fine in iOS17, but now I get a crash when running with Xcode 16 / iOS18 beta:

Expected dequeued view to be returned to the collection view in preparation for display. When the collection view's data source is asked to provide a view for a given index path, ensure that a single view is dequeued and returned to the collection view. Avoid dequeuing views without a request from the collection view. For retrieving an existing view in the collection view, use -[UICollectionView cellForItemAtIndexPath:] or -[UICollectionView supplementaryViewForElementKind:atIndexPath:]

This is my UITableView delegate call:

AddEditDataCell *cell = nil;
    if (indexPath.section == 0) {

if (indexPath.row == 0) {
            AddEditDataContactsCell *contactNameCell = (AddEditDataContactsCell *)[self cellForContactNamesCollectionAtIndexPath:indexPath tableView:tableView];
            return contactNameCell; 

- (AddEditDataContactsCell *)cellForContactNamesCollectionAtIndexPath:(NSIndexPath *)indexPath tableView:(UITableView *)tableView {
    AddEditDataContactsCell *contactsCell = (AddEditDataContactsCell *)[self.tableView dequeueReusableCellWithIdentifier:@"ContactsCell" forIndexPath:indexPath];
    if (self.collectionNameCell == nil) {
        self.collectionNameCell = [contactsCell.collectionView dequeueReusableCellWithReuseIdentifier:@"LogContactNameCollectionCellIdentifier" forIndexPath:[NSIndexPath indexPathForRow:0 inSection:0]];
        contactsCell.nameCellDelegate = self;
    }

contactsCell.frame = CGRectZero;
    [contactsCell setNeedsLayout];
    [contactsCell.collectionView reloadData];

contactsCell.collectionViewHeightConstraint.constant = contactsCell.collectionView.collectionViewLayout.collectionViewContentSize.height;

[contactsCell.collectionView.collectionViewLayout invalidateLayout];
    return contactsCell;
}

@zulfishah Could you create a test project and share a link to the project. I'd be happy to take a look. Creating a test project, goes over the criteria for a focused test project.

We had a similar issue. Turns out we were calling dequeReusableCellWithIdentifier: to create a cell in another method which we used for size estimates, and it seems like on ios 18 the UICollectionView really does not like that. If you deque a cell it expects you to give it that cell, eg in response to cellForItemAtIndexPath.

Changing that other cell creation to just alloc/init fixed the crash for us.

Try "self.collectionNameCell = [ .... alloc] init];" instead of deque.

Crash in iOS18

Q