Packet Tunnel Provider app - Distribute outside the App Store for MacOS

Is it possible to distrubite my VPN app (with packet tunnel provider) for MacOS with a standalone installer (such as .pkg/.dmg file) ?

I think the answer is that it can't be done, but the reason I'm asking is that there are some clients who want to preinstall the app on some people's Macs instead of sending them to the App Store.

So is it possible? or maybe the way to go here is by Apple Configurator ?

Accepted Reply

Is it possible to distrubite my VPN app (with packet tunnel provider) for MacOS with a standalone installer (such as .pkg/.dmg file) ?

That depends on the extent of the distribution you intend. macOS only supports Network Extension providers in the following apps:

• Apps downloaded from the Mac App Store

• Apps signed with a Mac development profile

They are not supported by Developer ID apps and, of course, the Mac does not support ad hoc, In-House (Enterprise), or TestFlight distribution.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Replies

That depends on the extent of the distribution you intend. macOS only supports Network Extension providers in the following apps:

• Apps downloaded from the Mac App Store

• Apps signed with a Mac development profile

They are not supported by Developer ID apps and, of course, the Mac does not support ad hoc, In-House (Enterprise), or TestFlight distribution.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

I asked this for a user who wants to install my app at his employees' Macs, so signing with Mac development profile won't do any good here.

Thanks for the reply!

Is this still the case that NetworkExtensions can only be supported in the App Store? With Big Sur/M1, it is much harder to use the kext based approaches and not all apps can live inside the App Store. Is there really no way to use this in an app outside of the appstore still?

Thanks!

Is this still the case that NetworkExtensions can only be supported in
the App Store?

No. macOS 10.15 introduced the concept of NE system extensions (as opposed to app extensions). These can be distributed independently using Developer ID signing.

With Big Sur/M1, it is much harder to use the kext based approaches

Right. It’s almost like we planned for that (-:

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple