AlarmKit custom LiveActivityIntent: can executions overlap or be redelivered across app relaunch?

Hello,

I'm developing an iPhone alarm app with AlarmKit. The alert has a custom secondary button whose intent conforms to LiveActivityIntent, declares supportedModes: .background and authenticationPolicy: .alwaysAllowed, and passes an alarm ID to app code from a @MainActor perform() implementation. The intent lives in the app target. It is not shared with a widget or an App Intents extension.

The operation persists an in-progress record, awaits scheduling a new alarm, cancels the original only after scheduling succeeds, and then persists completion. After an interruption or relaunch, recovery reads the persisted original and candidate IDs and checks the system's alarm inventory. I want to understand which execution guarantees the app can rely on, so that recovery never schedules a duplicate alarm or cancels a valid candidate.

I've read the LiveActivityIntent and App Intents runtime documentation. I understand how execution placement and foreground/background modes are described, but I couldn't find a public guarantee about overlap or redelivery when the app process is replaced. To be clear, I have not observed two simultaneous processes or duplicate execution in this setup. This is a question about what the app may assume, not a bug report.

Questions

  1. For this app-target LiveActivityIntent configuration on iOS/iPadOS 26.x, can an older process of the same app still be executing an alarm-button intent while a newly launched process begins another invocation? Is there a documented single-process or handover guarantee an app may rely on? I'd appreciate it if the answer could distinguish multiple concurrent invocations within one process from overlap between an old and a newly launched process.

  2. Can the same alarm-button action be redelivered after an interruption or relaunch, including after perform() has thrown or returned? Which serialization or at-most-once guarantees, if any, apply to invocations for the same alarm ID, and which duplicate-delivery defenses must the app provide? I'm not assuming that every invocation comes from a new user tap.

  3. If the process that issued an AlarmKit scheduling or cancellation request terminates, may the app assume that the request has either completed or been abandoned before a newly launched process calls AlarmKit? If not, which public API checks or sequencing are recommended before recovery modifies the original or candidate alarm?

I'm looking for supported app-level assumptions and recommended safeguards, not internal process lifecycle details. The app must preserve valid alarms and must never report an uncertain result as success.

The shipping target is iPhone, with a minimum deployment target of 26.1. Earlier isolated testing on an iPad (9th generation, including iPadOS 26.7) did not show the overlap described above.

Related question about the alert presentation after an intent error: [https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/849075]

Thank you!

AlarmKit custom LiveActivityIntent: can executions overlap or be redelivered across app relaunch?
 
 
Q