I'm building a two-iPhone app that times a 40-yard (36.576 m) sprint — one phone at the start, one at the finish. Before timing, I need to verify the phones are at least 40 yards apart (no external hardware, no Wi-Fi infrastructure — they talk over my own relay, clocks already synced). I want this to work on as many iPhone models as possible.
Questions, by device generation:
iPhone 11–14 (1st-gen Ultra Wideband): can these reliably range at ~36.6 m outdoors with Nearby Interaction, or does precise ranging at this distance effectively require 2nd-gen? iPhone 15+ (2nd-gen UWB / Extended Distance Measurement): has anyone measured real-world accuracy at ~30–40 m outdoors? Can it reliably distinguish ~39.9 yd from ~40.1 yd? Which distance-quality signals do you gate a hard pass/fail on (when to trust NINearbyObject.distance, convergence/averaging)? No Ultra Wideband (e.g., iPhone 16e): any Apple-supported approach for approximate phone-to-phone distance at this range, or do you mark the feature unsupported there?
After hands-on results at 30 m+ especially — most threads cover indoor/short range. Thanks!