Core Animation Layer in SwiftUI app does not update unless I rotate the device.

I am trying to create a near real-time drawing of waveform data from within a SwiftUI app. The data is streaming in from the hardware and I've verified that the draw(in ctx: CGContext) override in my custom CALayer is getting called. I have added this custom CALayer class as a sublayer to a UIView instance that I am making available via the UIViewRepresentable protocol.

The only time I see updated output from the CALayer is when I rotate the device and layout happens (I assume). How can I force SwiftUI to update every time I render new data in my CALayer?

More Info:

I'm porting an app from the Windows desktop. Previously, I tried to make this work by simply generating a new UIImage from a CGContext every time I wanted to update the display. I quickly exhausted memory with that technique because a new context is being created every time I call UIGraphicsImageRenderer(size:).image { context in }. What I really wanted was something equivalent to a GDI WritableBitmap. Apparently this animal allows a programmer to continuously update and re-use the contents. I could not figure out how to do this in Swift without dropping down to the old CGBitmapContext stuff written in C and even then I wasn't sure if that would give me a reusable context that I could output in SwiftUI each time I refreshed it. CALayer seemed like the answer. I welcome any feedback on a better way to do what I'm trying to accomplish.

Answered by statemachinejunkie in 788507022

Solved. Must call setNeedsDisplay from the main thread.

Accepted Answer

Core Animation Layer in SwiftUI app does not update unless I rotate the device.

Q