Xcode stuck waiting for device to unlock, waiting for symbols, etc.

I have chronic problems with the connection between Xcode and my phone.

I plug the phone in and Xcode says "Waiting for phone to unlock", but the phone is already unlocked. I try locking and unlocking it, but nothing happens.

If I can get past this problem by disconnection and reconnecting the phone a couple of times, it gets into the "downloading symbols" phase and never gets out of it.

Finally, even though I have checked the "Connect via network" option, it never works, and I can never connect unless I plug in the phone with a USB cord (yes, the phone and the computer are on the same Wifi network).

Some days this is just an annoyance, but some days (like today) I really need to test something on my phone for a customer who's waiting for it, and I cannot. The thing I'm trying to test involves sending text messages so I can't use the simulator or even an iPad. What can I do to debug this problem?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of flarosa Down vote post of flarosa
2k views
  • did you find a solution? I have the same issue

• You can either force quit Xcode and relaunch it or wait for it to time out. This issue needs to be addressed by Apple to allow users to cancel the operation, as it can be frustrating when Xcode automatically selects a previous device without notice, causing the intended testing device to be overlooked.

Add a Comment

Replies

Hello, try this go to Settings > Privacy & Security then scroll down to enable Developer Mode restart your device enter passcode to trust Developer Mode let me know Thanks

@farajcontrollers @flarosa I have the same problem Xcode 15.0.1 and iOS 17.1.2

Does not work via USB or WiFi Already tried: 1 - Disable and activate the multiplath network in the device's developer options 2 - I updated xcode 3 - I changed USB 4 - I unpaired and paired the device 5 - I changed wifi networks to test

and several other things I saw on stakoverflow and github. NOTHING YET

You can either force quit Xcode and relaunch it or wait for it to time out. This issue needs to be addressed by Apple to allow users to cancel the operation, as it can be frustrating when Xcode automatically selects a previous device without notice, causing the intended testing device to be overlooked.