New AVPointCloudData assert in iPadOS 17.0 (21A5326a)

Seeing a flurry of these in Xcode 15 Beta 8 while debugging an ARKit app

<<<< AVPointCloudData >>>> Fig assert: "_dataBuffer" at bail (AVPointCloudData.m:217) - (err=0)

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of jselikof Down vote post of jselikof
1.9k views
  • I am curious where to find the code where the message originates. If it is serious there has to be a way to remedy it if it is not serious, there should be a way to turn off the noise to prevent management from seeing the message and demanding it be fixed.

Add a Comment

Replies

I am too. Did you get anywhere with it?

• I filed feedback, no resolution yet.

Add a Comment

Me too -- doesn't seem to be having any impact

• No performance impact perhaps, but the added debug spam isn't a great thing.

Add a Comment

I am seeing it also, and the message "<<<< AVPointCloudData >>>> Fig assert: "_dataBuffer" at bail (AVPointCloudData.m:217) - (err=0)" should be a concern because bailing out is not a normal thing that SHOULD be done in processing Point Cloud Data. Too bad the source code for this is not available so we could confirm for ourselves that this is not a harmful condition. The comment about this being debug spam is a bit unsettling and a bad programming practice if that is the only outfall of the message that it takes space in the debug logs. Given the other messages about Point Cloud data that is generated during our tests I think it is less than benign.

• I'm seeing it also in Xcode 15.0.1 -- it's not the only error that has this character, but the all have that <<<< ... >>>> format

Really clutters up the output and doesn't appear to be indicative of any noticeable problems with my app

Add a Comment

I got it too, and when this log appear (just sometime, not always), the screen freezes, can not tap on any button. look like a serious issue (iOS 17).

• Yes. It happens all the time for me also. The application hangs for a few seconds while debugging, which is a bizarre behavior

• Are you able to fix it?

• Nope, still seeing it. I hope all y'all have filed feedback as well.

I am seeing it too. The system goes catatonic and does not respond at all to anything but pause requests. I am running a modified version of RoomPlan and This goes on for quite a while.. One anomalous message that I get is that there is this sequence after about 50 messages.

"<<<< AVPointCloudData >>>> Fig assert: "_dataBuffer" at bail (AVPointCloudData.m:217) - (err=0) ARWorldTrackingTechnique <0x1186f4fb0>: World tracking performance is being affected by resource constraints [25] <<<< AVPointCloudData >>>> Fig assert: "_dataBuffer" at bail (AVPointCloudData.m:217) - (err=0) <<<< AVPointCloudData >>>> Fig assert: "_dataBuffer" at bail (AVPointCloudData.m:217) - (err=0)"

And this happens periodically during the catatonia by the app. What was going on immediately prior to the error was that a call was made to a function called "Renderer" provided by one of the Metal processing demo kits that I merged into Room Plan. This seems to aggravate the error. I also get a weird projection of the walls of the room over the floor which are cattywhompus, i.e. the floor alignment Is. about 30 degrees of from where it should be with the 3 walls which seem to have a normal alignment with each other even though they are off center from the floor and the object in the room is also off center

One question I have is that this iPAD platform has 32GB of real memory on it and is fairly new. But the App gets to 800-900 MB of space and doesn't go much higher, Memory seems to be getting tight. Is there a way to make it possible to use more than 1GB of space for a single app? Where is the memory quota for a single app established and how do I push the limits upward? There is also 2TB of storage on the platform and not much of it is in use.

• Reserving memory isn't really possible in iOS. You could review Jetsam reports to see if your app is getting booted. I do wonder how much Room Plan is pushing the device. I recall a developer session from a couple of years ago where the ML guys seemed to hint that ARKit was resource intensive and mixing the two technologies could create a less than responsive experience. But, that was a couple of years ago, maybe things have changed.

Add a Comment

I'm getting this too. The app seems to run OK but would be nice to resolve this.

I also am having this issue however, it appears to go away once I removed roomSession.stop() that was being called before the session started

I am mildly curious as to why the key terms in the message cannot be found in a search of the Developer Documentation at the very least. Given the fact that the similarities to Linux are touted often, why is there not a permuted index available of terms found in diagnostic messages for the purpose of diagnosis? the environment I am used to, developers were not allowed to put in messages that did not include a recommended remedy in some product documentation so a user does not feel stranded when looking up an obscure or arcane diagnostic like the one we have here. Telling the User the line of code and relevant labels seems rather rude and elitist if you don't give us access to the means to correct the error. The diagnostic does not even contain eh name of the file containing the data in error or the index of the record in error. Not good form....