Support for Automator app in macOS

Can someone update about the current state of the Automator app in macOS. Automator seems like a valuable tool for automating tasks on macOS but in the recent years I have noticed a growing emphasis on the Shortcuts app for automation.

It would be great if you could clarify the following:

• Current Status of Automator: Is there any official statement regarding the continued support of the Automator app in future macOS versions?

• Future of Automator: Does Apple plan to introduce new features or updates for Automator in upcoming releases?

• Indifference to Shortcuts App: From what I understand both the ‘Automator’ and the ‘Shortcuts’ app are used for creating workflows/shortcuts to automate tasks. What is it that Automator app has to offer which cannot be done using the Shortcuts app? assuming the continued support for the Automator app. Can all the automator workflows not be automated using the shortcuts app?

I understand that Apple is constantly innovating and introducing new tools. However, clarity regarding the future of Automator would be helpful for users like myself.

In addition, as a developer I wanted to offer some actions for my application in the Automator app, so that the user can make use of it to create some workflows. But from what I found in the apple documentation here, these action are created using the ‘Automator action’ Project type template in the xcode. However, in the current version of xcode 15, this project type seems to be missing. Does it indicate that apple no longer provides support for applications to create new automator action? If not, how can I provide automator actions for my xcode application?

Replies

Honestly, I hope Apple keeps Automator around for years to come. I have a lot of Automator actions that I can't easily convert into Shortcuts.

Also, Shortcuts lets me add Quick Actions like Automator does, but they don't appear in the Finder like the Automator ones do. I just tried it. I created a Shortcuts Quick Action, and it doesn't show up when I right-click something in the Finder. I added a new Automator QA, and it's there.

Basically, if I got rid of those Automator Quick Actions I could not replace them with Shortcuts Quick Actions. There may be something I'm missing, but they don't work for me.