Failed to perform GPU performance counter

Hi all, I am trying to measure the performce of my video game in iOS platform.

After launching the debugger and caputre GPU workload (with "frame" selected as scope), I can not do performance profiling. The error message is: "Failed to enable shader profiler. (516)".

And if I export the GPU trace and reopen it, the Xcode can not find any compatible devices connected. However, the same device used for capturing is connected.

Device informations are:

• Mac device: MacBook Air M2, 2022
  • Mac OS version: Sonoma 14.4
  • XCode version: 15.2 (15C500b)
  • mobile device: iPhone 13 Pro Max
  • iOS version: 15.0

GPU performance counter can be performed using the same mobile device in my colleague's Mac. So I think there might be something wrong with my Xcode.

Similar post: Shader Profiler Not Working

Where can I see the bug #33059415? Is it closed?

Hi, please first try upgrading to the latest available versions of Xcode and OS's for your devices. For your Mac (as of the current time of writing) this is Xcode 15.4 and macOS Sonoma 14.5. For iOS the latest version is iOS 17.5.1. If you need to test against iOS 15, I recommend updating to the latest patch release (15.8.2). Because debugging works on your colleague's Mac, you may want to try updating just the Mac device and Xcode version first.

If the issue still reproduces, please file a new bug report using the Feedback Assistant application and provide the feedback report number here. You can do this from Xcode when using the Metal Debugger in the Help menu -> Provide Feedback... This will also attach the gputrace to the report. The report from 33059415 is 7 years ago and may not be the same issue.

Failed to perform GPU performance counter

Q