Allow full disk access for all users.

Hi,

I’m developing a program which requires writing files to a volume mounted on a remote server.

I've set up the volume on the server and shared a folder within there using a sharing-only account as a first test. The permissions are set to allow read and write for the sharing-only user in both the parent volume and the shared folder within it.

However it will only let me access the directory over the network if I enable “Allow full disk access for all users” within the sharing settings in the server.

What does this setting actually do? If I disable this option and then disable file sharing all together and then re-enable, it will switch that setting back on. It seems to tie in with the process smbd getting “full disk access” even though that process runs as root anyway.

Allow full disk access for all users doesn't seem to grant my sharing-only user any more access than I’ve defined locally so I‘m really confused as to its use and why I need it for this to work.

I’m on macOS Sonoma 14.4 for both systems.

Replies

I think I might‘ve gotten to the bottom of this. One of the other shares in the server is a TimeMachine location and it looks like smbd needs full disk access whenever you share a time machine backup destination. This seems to be linked to the above setting.

I’d still like confirmation of this however.