Xcode 9.4.1 and simulator : black screen on Late 2012 Mac Mini with HD4000 graphics card

I'm runnning Xcode 9.4.1 and when I launch a device simulator they only show a black screen. I know the app does run because I can see the output in the Debug Area at the bottom and it is as expected.

The one simulator that does work is for iPhone SE. It launches with the white Apple Logo and the default screen and icons. All the others I have so far tried launch to a black screen, I never see the white Apple Logo or the default iOS screen and icons, just blackness.

I have tried :

1) cleaning the app and cleaning the build folder

2) running in the terminal : sudo defaults write com.apple.CoreSimulator.IndigoFramebufferServices FramebufferRendererHint 3

Then rerunning Xcode

3) Deleting the simulator device and re-adding it

4) removing the "xcuserdata" directory under my project folder

This is really a HUGE issue that has stalled my app from final release.

Any and ALL solutions are most certainly welcome. Apple ?

I have a late 2012 mac mini with HD4000 graphics card.

Thanks,

Replies

Have you installed Xcode 10 Beta?

It could corrupt Xcode 9's Simulators (black screen) as I described in this discussion.

Anyhow, try this workaround:

- delete Library/Developer folder

- delete Users/User/Library/Developer folder

- run all the Installers in Xcode/Contents/Resources/Packages

AWESOME !!!! Thanks for the kickstart of my simulators. That ...... worked .... beautifully !!!!!!!

PS - I hadn't installed Xcode 10 Beta

THANKS for your taking the time to post this solution !!!!!!

I had similar issue with Xcode 12 beta 6. PrinceCreed answer helped solve the problem. Thanks!
Hi,

I'm running Xcode 12.4 on latest Catalina 10.15.7 with Intel HD Graphics 3000.

My problem sounds somewhat similar to what's been described here. The Xcode simulator works fine for all iOS versions from 14.4 (officially supported) all the way right down to version 13.0. The moment I run simulator version 12.4, the display becomes blank with random colours. And this problem shows for all versions below 13.0.

Could this be the same issue? I already tried the suggested steps (by PrinceCreed) but unfortunately, the problem still persists.

Any idea how to resolve or work around this? I really need to test my app on iPhone 6 simulator.

The issue for me was that I needed to sign back into my iCloud.

Hi,

The problem occurred when you use the install Xcode from external hardisk or USB just uninstall the existing Xcode, then download clean one from https://developer.apple.com/xcode/

Hope this help you