PS4 controller

just wondering if anyone has been able to get the ps4 controller to pair with tvOS 13? Or is this something that will come in later betas?

Replies

Just as a follow up, I get it to connect, but then it disconnects right away. Then it won’t reconnect unless I unpair it and start again.

After restarting a few times, it seems to be working now, only a small lag.

Hi, what's the procedure to pair it?

I looked into blueetooth and also controller and devices menus but it hasn't show up...

Hold "PS" and "Share" buttons simultaniously - the remote will appear in the listed BT-devices on the ATV.

I have also not been able to connect the PS4 controller. I held down "PS" and "Share" buttons until the light started blinking. The controller doesn't show up on the bluetooth list on tvOS 13 beta or iPadOS 13 beta.

I read that to use an XBox One controller you need to use a controller with the model number 1708. Is a certain Dualshock 4 model needed? I'm using one with the model # CUH-ZCT1U.

I’ve tried both with AppleTV 4 HD and iPad 5 and worked perfectly the first time. Step one is to make sure the controller is shut off, to disconnect from the previous device. Long press the middle small PS button for ten seconds until the light turns off. Then press share (top left oval button) and PS for about 2 seconds until the light blinks fast in white colour. Pair mode enabled. Go to the device and select it. Done. Now the problem is that I could not get the controller paired on the Apple TV and iPad and simply connect them. Let’s say I’m using on the appletv. I shutdown the controller manually. Then go to the iPad and try to connect to the remote. I can’t. As soon as I turn the controlller on, with any key, it will connect to the AppleTV. I always need to follow the 10 second shutdown, 2 second pair, repair on each of the Apple TV, iPad, or PS4. Well, that’s the process for normal Bluetooth. Maybe I’m just spoiled that the AirPods allows any device to steal the connection without the need to pair again. Any device, even my Samsung tv or Huawei Android. Just switch the audio output to the AirPods and boom, the sound gets redirected. If the controller needs to be re-paired all the time… awful. But, still, had some fun with it. The controller can navigate through all the menus, and even control many games without explicit game controller support… but I had a Nimbus controller already, so it’s not much different after pairing.

Oh, and the controller’s battery will go down much faster. (Can’t edit my own answer… forums are broken, feedback assistant is broken… Apple services? Lol)

>Can’t edit my own answer

Really? Seems odd... No 'edit' link when using the 'Actions' (Manage) menu, lower left of your comment?

'Edit' is missing from right below that comment? On your phone?

Edited to edit check

I have an Apple TV 4K, and even though I get to conect the DualShock, the connection won’t hold up for long. In fact, it breaks right away.
Anyone ever get this resolved?

Just bought DualShock 4 for kids to play games on Apple TV (tvOS 14.3) and connects for a few seconds up to a minute maybe, but then disconnects. Frustrating. Works fine on macOS. Makes me think it is a tvOS issue.

any other ideas would be appreciated!
Having the exact same issue - works fine on an iPad Pro, but on Apple TV connects for a few seconds and then disconnects
In 14.3, the only way to keep it connected in my Apple TV is to NOT use the apple remote, the moment it connect, the Dualshock stop working (stays connected but it doesn't control anything). The system recognise it and if you go to the controller settings, you can identify it and the controller vibrate, but anything else isn't working (you can't navigate or use it in any game/app). It seems like a bug. Also, you have to unpair and pair every time you want to use it again. It doesn't happen on my iPad (13.2.3) where it connect immediately if I hit the PS button, if I've paired previously with the device. So it seems like another bug.

So the steps to make it work are:

1) Start Apple tv or reboot (not suspend). Once it's started, do not use the apple remote to navigate, instead you need to use another remote (like the tv remote or another remote controller, since the Dualshock doesn't connect automatically).
2) Unpair and pair the Dualshock.
3) Now you should be able to use it.
I’ve been also struggling to make it work.
You really have to unpair and re-pair every time, but that wouldn’t be too much of an issue, if only it would work. The real issue is that it doesn’t work even when paired/connected. It doesn’t work as controller, you can press the buttons but nothing happens. it’s definitely an issue in the tv os, as the controller works with other systems. it seems that it’s a bug that needs fixing.

As others have experienced I am able to "pair" and "connect" a ps4 Dual Shock 4 controller to an Apple TV (14.6) but have it immediately disconnect.

I've tested the controller with an iPhone and it pairs, connects and works as expected.

I've done all the usual - re-paired, reset controller. rebooted ATV, reset ATV. Nothing helps.

On tvOS when I pair the controller it shows the notification saying it is connected and for a second I can use the controller to navigate the menu. Then it stops working and the notification comes up saying it has disconnected. Interestingly I can use the "Identify" menu option to get the controller to vibrate - but none of the buttons do anything.

As @icpapple said it seems to be something to do with the remote taking over. And their steps work for me too.

However I've found another work around. When you want to use the controller:

First make sure your controller is paired AND connected.

1. Go to the "Remotes and Devices" settings screen (actually you can do this anywhere but this screen shows what is happening).

2. Take your Apple Remote and disconnect it from the Apple TV…

• Hold down Volume Down (minus) and Home (TV Screen) buttons at the same time. A few seconds and the remote will disconnect. A few seconds later a "Remote disconnected" notification shows.
  3. Use your controller. Yeah!

4. Reconnect your remote with any remote button press. Takes a few seconds. Controller will no longer work.

Sadly you need to re-pair the controller after a reboot or sleep.

That works for me!

Hope Apple fixes this as it's still a PITA.