[SOLVED] iOS simulators not showing up

Hello everyone!

This problem first appeared when I updated Xcode 6.1 to version 6.2.

At that point, the system let me keep 6.1 and install 6.2 additionally, which I decided to go for.

While using Xcode 6.2, though, I wasn't able to select any iOS simulators to run my apps on.

They still appeared in Window -> Devices, though, and I was still able to open the iOS Simulator App manually and choose from the devices.

I just couldn't transfer any more apps.

Well, I thought there must have been a bug with the installation. So I deleted both, Xcode 6.1 and 6.2 and installed 6.2 again.

But this didn't help. I decided to wait for updates that may fix this problem, but even upgrading to 6.3 didn't help, nor did upgrading to 6.4.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Have I somehow messed with system folders when I accepted to keep 6.1 while installing 6.2?

Many thanks in advance,

Greetings,

Shu

Accepted Reply

In one of my previous posts I answered the problem has been resolved to some extent.

But ultimately I was informed everything on Xcode's side worked as expected.

The bug was Unity-related. There has never been an option to run a Unity build on both simulators and actual devices.

There was a bug showing the simulators even though they were not available.

Now everything works when building for simulators in Unity.

• this is useless answer

Add a Comment

Replies

If they appear in Window -> Devices, then Xcode is aware of them and should propagate the run destinations window when appropriate.

If you create a new iOS project from scratch, do you see the issue, or is it only happening in your project?

Thank your for your answer, jeremyhu!

I’ve got some more information on this: When I right-click the devices in Window -> Devices, "Show in Run Destinations Menu" is checked on all the Simulators just like it is on my real devices, yet only the real devices show up.

Also, I just tried creating a new iOS project from scratch, but there was no option to run anything at all. I don’t even know how to set this up, though, because I use Unity for creating Xcode projects. But I can confirm that this issue shows up on all the Projects that I am working on. So it doesn’t seem to be project-specific.

Besides, when I updated to 6.2, the simulators still worked in 6.1. Only 6.2 was having this issue. Well, and then 6.3 and now 6.4.

This is the first time I've heard of an issue like this. Usually devices aren't shown because they're too old (eg: deployment target is newer than that sim version) or if CoreSimulatorService is crashing and can't respond to Xcode. In the latter case, you should also not see any devices in the Devices window.

Please file a radar at http://bugreport.apple.com with a sysdiagnose tarball (sudo sysdiagnose -q) and ~/Library/Logs/CoreSimulator/*.log ... It would also be great if you could reply to this thread with the radar number, so anyone internal can quickly jump to it if they are reading this thread. Thanks.

I filed a bug report last night because the exact same thing thet Shu is experiancing is happening to me. Even from a clean instal and new projects. Plus if I click on the storyboard (new or old project from xcode 6.x) the color wheel spins for a good minute and the crash telling me it cannot find any device. I look and Wind > device and I cann + add one in but again th e color wheel just spins nd nothing happens.

I just bought this MBP 15" Retina fully loaded two months ago and all worked until Beta 4 came out.

Jaymz69, it sounds like you are hitting the issue discussed in another thread and not this one. In Shu's case, he sees devices in the Devices window. Based on your description of the SPODing InterfaceBuilder, you are more likely hitting this other very common issue:

xcode7 beta4 without Simulator (Any images)

Alright, thanks for the help!

Here is the radar number:

This issue is resolved to some extend.

Using Xcode 6.2 or newer obviously requires me to set the Unity build for either device or simulator support. The simulation works now, but I have to build separately just for simulation.

When opening the device build, there are no simulators listed as destination.

On the other side, when using the simulator builds, I won't have access to my real devices.

For whatever reason, in Xcode 6.1 I could choose from both, real devices and simulators, which is much better to work with.

Not sure if you found the answer to this one. I just had this problem and was able to solve it by going to Window > Devices and adding devices there using the ➕ button at the bottom.

Thank you very much for your answer! I already tried that, though, including reinstalling the whole runtimes and resetting the whole simulation process. But all of that didn’t work.

A few days ago, though, I found out this is related to Unity.

I had to choose a different build version for simulators.

I don’t know why this is happening since 6.2, though. Before Xcode version 6.2, the simulators would show up anyway.

Any progress on this issue? Has it been fixed/resolved?

In one of my previous posts I answered the problem has been resolved to some extent.

But ultimately I was informed everything on Xcode's side worked as expected.

The bug was Unity-related. There has never been an option to run a Unity build on both simulators and actual devices.

There was a bug showing the simulators even though they were not available.

Now everything works when building for simulators in Unity.

• this is useless answer

Add a Comment

I solved. http://stackoverflow.com/a/26690775/829825

Click on the project name (Right to the Run button). Three options will appear.

1. Edit scheme
  2. New scheme
  3. Manage scheme

You can click on "New scheme" and then click on "OK" in popup window.

You will have simulators list back.

I know this is an old post. Stumbled upon this same issue just yesterday when on my Xcode 13 app was working fine and tested in iPhone 11 Pro for the last few weeks. Maybe was sleepy or hit some kind of wrong key but afterward only iPad devices and no iPhone devices available in simulator. Tried to close Xcode and restart the Mac with no luck.

Other previous worked on iOS projects when open up still have the iPhone simulators.

Tried many of the other suggestions in this comment and from Google and nothing work.

What work is that I remember in the top level project folder under the General Tab --> Deployment, there is a checkbox for iPhone, iPad. Somehow the iPhone was unchecked. After checking iPhone, the iPhone simulators were available again. Hopefully this help others that have the same issue.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of ssan Down vote reply of ssan
  • This works everytime

Add a Comment

ssan's solution worked for me too. My iPhone box was not unchecked, but when I unchecked it and then checked it again, simulators became available.

After I did this, TARGETED_DEVICE_FAMILY = "1,2"; was added to a couple of places in my project.pbxproj file.

Removing and adding iPhone build support back in Xcode 14.3.1 worked for me .Thanks