QR code reader in iOS 13/iPadOS 13 opens links in a web view which does not have Safari's session cookies

QR code reader in iOS 13/iPadOS 13 opens links in a web view which does not have Safari's session cookies. QR code reader in iOS13/iPadOS13 opens web links in a web view instead of Safari. This is inconsistent with the camera in iOS13/iPadOS13 which opens web links in Safari. The difference here is that the webview used in the QR Coder reader does not have session cookies etc from Safari. I assume that the behaviour is just different here, but it's also possible that the cookies aren't available because of a bug? Did anyone else notice this? The behaviour of the QR code reader in iOS12/iOS13 is different, in iOS12 it nicely open links in real Safari, so the user's cookies can be accessed properly.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Jbmechanic Down vote post of Jbmechanic
1.9k views

Replies

I have the same problem. I am using iOS 13.3.1 and the cookie and session does not goes to Safari unless user press Safari icon on the right bottom conor. To be honest, nobody gonna press that button. It gives problem that the website do not konw if it is a new user or a return user.

Same problem here. The local storage is discarded between QR code readings. That behavior loses the application user session and breaks the usability of my web app. What the reason to be that way, Apple?