UILabel word wrapping in SwiftUI

Hello!

I'm trying to use a UILabel in a tree of SwiftUI views, creating a View Struct that conforms to UIViewRepresentable. The reason for using UILabel instead of the native SwiftUI Text() view is that I would like to display an NSAttributedString.

The UILabel renders in the SwiftUI view, however the words do not wrap to become multi-line on the screen. Instead, the text just chops off at the trailing edge. The same UILabel settings in a purely UIKit based ViewController setup wrap correctly, for comparison. Providing a plain string to UILabel.text or an attributed string to UILabel.attributedText yields the same non-wrapping results.

I am just wondering if anyone has got this to work, or knows where I might be going wrong? Here is the view struct:

struct UIKitLabelView : UIViewRepresentable {

typealias UIViewType = UILabel

func makeUIView(context: UIViewRepresentableContext<UIKitLabelView>) -> UILabel {

let label = UILabel()
        label.translatesAutoresizingMaskIntoConstraints = false
        label.lineBreakMode = .byWordWrapping
        label.numberOfLines = 0
        label.text = "a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20"
        return label

// The text above should easily wrap on any character boundary, but is just chopped off at the "1" which is the character right before the edge of the device's screen.

}

func updateUIView(_ uiView: UILabel, context: UIViewRepresentableContext<UIKitLabelView>) {

}

}

Here is the SwiftUI view hierarchy that embeds the UIKitLabelView at line 13:

struct MyView: View {

var body: some View {

ScrollView {

VStack(alignment: .leading, spacing: nil) {

Text("Title")

Divider()

UIKitLabelView()

Spacer()

.navigationBarTitle("My View")

}
            .padding(20)
        }

}
}

Thanks in advance for your help!

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of lrt Down vote post of lrt
9.3k views

Replies

I've been stuck on the same problem for a while now. You haven't found an answer yet, have you?

Someone on StackOverflow helped. Their answer works for me!

Try using .fixedSize(horizontal: false, vertical: true)