Swift Playgrounds overheats my MacBook way too quickly

Swift Playgrounds overheats my MacBook within 5-10 min of opening the app, even if I don't do anything on it and simply leave it open. Does anyone else have this issue? And is there anyway to prevent it from overheating so quickly, or should I just wait for the next update?

Thank you.

Replies

What does Activity Monitor say?

How much physical ram in your MB?

What amount of free space do you have on your SSD?

Did you get any help with this?

I just got a refurbed 2019 1.4 Quad Core i5 with 8 gb and I'm having the same problem.

It looks like my Mac just doesn't have enough RAM to run it. Though it probably is also because of a lot of bugs with the app. I'd suggest waiting for the next update, which is probably what I'll end up doing, and filing a bug report.

I just bought a Macbook Pro 2019 refurb and am having this same issue. I got this one on the advice of the apple sales guy as he said it is more than capable of running Swift Playgrounds but 5/10 minutes in to using the app it sounds like it's about to take off. I spoke to a Tech advisor last week who said it definitely shouldn't do that and arranged for a replacement macbook to be sent out which arrived yesterday, and it's doing the exact same thing... Mine is the Macbook Pro 2019, 8gb, 256gb SSD.. App runs flawlessly on my iPad Air 2 so seems strange to me that a Macbook Pro struggles with it?

>Mine is the Macbook Pro 2019, 8gb, 256gb SSD.

....8GB strikes again.

Yeah, I find it odd that Swift Playgrounds needs more RAM to run than Xcode. Plus, it works better on iPads. I'm assuming the issue is just a lot bugs on the Mac App.

Have exactly the same problem with Pro 2015 16GB ram. I think Apple need to fix the Swift Playground itself with an update

my macbook pro with 16 gb of of RAM

get overheated too.

the macbookair of my daughter consume the battery from 99-34% in 20 min if the app is open

I have a 16gb of RAM on my Macbook Pro with plenty of storage experiencing the same issue.

Activity Monitor just shows that swift playgrounds is unresponsive and the heat increases/fan kicks on pretty much instantly.

the next update is coming, Swift Playgrounds Version 3.3

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1496833156

The same happens with my MacBook Pro...I believe it's the app.

It has nothing to do with ram or free space. Its only the videocard who let the fans spin.
So i think it is more a poorly designed app.
(i have a nearly spec´d out MB 16" 2020 and it does the same)
You can see, if you download a temperature control app, that different "courses" have a different workload on the videocard.
I hope they fix it.
As of 8/2/20 I am experiencing the same issue with my MacBook Pro running macOS Catalina. This is REALLY a shame since Swift Playgrounds is an awesome app. I'm trying to learn Swift on my own and was so happy once I started using this app. Alas, after 5-10 minutes into using the app my MacBook Pro fan starts spinning like crazy. Apple developers PLEASE fix this issue. I've never encountered this problem ever with any of my other apps. So, this is another review confirming the overheating issue. Look forward to an updated version soon. Thanks
Things will get worse and much more terrible if you run it on MacBook Air!
MacBook Air will hit 90 Celsius in 9 mins!
This is happening to me too. 2017 MBP 15" with 16 GM RAM, and Swift Playgrounds is pretty much unplayable. Constantly becoming unresponsive and clunky when running scripts. Really a shame, it's a fun concept.