v3 Audio Units and Sidechain on iOS & OSX

I've looked around the documentation and searched a bit on google and I'm curious if it possible to have a sidechain input using the v3 Audio Units API in both iOS and OSX. I would like to be able to instantiate a plug-in on one track and select another track to manipulate the Audio Units effect on the first track. If so I was wondering where I might find documentation on this.

Accepted Reply

Yes - Audio Units feature the concept of separate audio busses. As an example of how a host uses separate busses, Logic usually uses Input bus 0 as the AU input and the next input bus as a side chain input.

More specifically:

• If you have an Instrument (kAudioUnitType_MusicDevice) which has no audio input - the first Input bus (bus 0) is used as side chain.
  • For Effects (for example kAudioUnitType_Effect), Logic uses the second input bus (bus 1) as a side chain if the AU reports it has at least two input busses.

For the v3 API see AUAudioUnitBus, AUAudioUnitBusArray & inputBusses property for details.

Replies

Yes - Audio Units feature the concept of separate audio busses. As an example of how a host uses separate busses, Logic usually uses Input bus 0 as the AU input and the next input bus as a side chain input.

More specifically:

• If you have an Instrument (kAudioUnitType_MusicDevice) which has no audio input - the first Input bus (bus 0) is used as side chain.
  • For Effects (for example kAudioUnitType_Effect), Logic uses the second input bus (bus 1) as a side chain if the AU reports it has at least two input busses.

For the v3 API see AUAudioUnitBus, AUAudioUnitBusArray & inputBusses property for details.

Cool Thank you! I'll look into that

Did you manage to get it to work?

I am trying to add an input bus to the InstrumentDemo provided in the Apple Sample Code (for detailed description see my thread: https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/76746) but I can't seem to get it to work in hosts (yet works as a standaole app, tested with the AUv3Host from the Sample Code on iOS and macOS and with Logic Pro X 10.3.1).

Any help or experiences woudl be appreciated.

• I've also been struggling to do the same thing. Anyone have any tips or pointers on how to add a SideChain input to the InstrumentDemo in the Apple Sample Code?

Add a Comment

in Xcode 13.1 I create an Effect Audio Unit Extension and simply add the second bus to the boiler plate code that xcode offers, following the same pattern as for the main input bus, but still the sidechain menu does not appear in logic pro. Any hints?

• I'm also trying to get this to work. Let me know if you eventually found a solution for displaying the standard sidechain dropdown menu in the plugin window.

Add a Comment