Maximum number of devices

Hi,

I have multiple Hue bridges set up in Homekit. Nearly 200 devices in all.

When I get over about 170 devices Homekit stops syncing between my iPad and iPhone.

I can see no documentation around what the maximum number of devices allowed in Homekit is, is anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Many thanks!

Accepted Reply

There is a hard limit of 1000 accessories/home but your situation is more likely to be HomeKit hitting the CloudKit single record size limit (1MB). Currently there isn't a way to workaround the problem since HomeKit syncs all of its data via a single CKRecord...

Replies

There is a hard limit of 1000 accessories/home but your situation is more likely to be HomeKit hitting the CloudKit single record size limit (1MB). Currently there isn't a way to workaround the problem since HomeKit syncs all of its data via a single CKRecord...

is it possible to increase the (I guess free) record size limit? Any other workarounds possible?
if the hard limit is 1000 accessories/home, why in the case of @dgburton homekit is hitting the cloudkit limit? 1MB x 200 devices
I have a similar problem with 200 homekit devices in 1 account. What if I create another account and have 100 devices in 1 account and the other 100 devices on the second account? I can easily just share/invite the first 100 devices/home with the second account.

I had this issue but rather than creating an additional account, I created multiple HomeKit "Homes".

An example would be a homekit home for Philips Hue lights and devices. For this "Home" i do not have any HomePods configured as bridges because the hue bridges control all the scheduling of events and the hue motion sensors can control the lights if motion is sensed or not. But it does make it easy to control all my devices from one app (HomeKit)

Another example would be all my iDevice Wall Switches and Wall Outlets (every outlet and switch in my house). This homekit :Home:" does have a pair of HomePod minis assigned as a bridge. The switches are turned on of off at different hours of the day (like sunrise and sunset) and are accessible from outside the house so when I leave home an automation can control the switches.

My issue s / questions are

(1) How many devices does it take to meet the 200 iCloud limit. If we look at the iDevice Wall Outlet it is actually 3 devices (Top Outlet, Bottom Outlet, & LED) which can be seen as either one or three tiles in HomeKit. So, does it count as one or three or does it depend on how I have my tiles configured. If it is tiles configured, can I take my dining room's chandelier with five bulbs and have it count as a single device if the lights are grouped?

(2) Does having multiple homes on a single account verses having multiple accounts really make any difference???

The above are open questions for anyone to weigh in on.

Thanks

Bruce

Cibolo, TX