Anyone able to play steam games on Big Sur?

Steam games don't seem to run on big Sur due to invalid platform apparently.
anyone else having this issue?

Replies

popular games like Dota 2, CS Go, etc... still runs fine for me
I'm experiencing exactly the same problem.
Anyone found a solution? I keept the mac pure (didn't copied a backup) so can not test steam games if they work and have no way to install them.
When I opened Steam after installing Mac OS Big Sur Beta for the public I couldn't play my game. I detailed below how I resolved my issue step by step for those who prefer a detailed explanation.

(IF YOU JUST NEED TO KNOW THE STEPS WITHOUT ALL THE DETAILED DIRECTIONS SCROLL TO BOTTOM OF THIS REPLY) I hope this is helpful.

Open the Steam application, select from the menu bar at the top, Steam->Preferences. The Preferences window opens to Account tab selected from the sidebar on left by default. On the right side your account information and options for account security, change password, and change email are displayed, below these options you will see the option Beta participation: Select the box that says CHANGE... This will open a new window read the short explanation about beta participation, below is a drop-down menu with the options NONE-OPT out of all beta programs or Steam Beta Update, select drop-down menu and Choose Steam Beta Update, Click OK. The app will notify you Steam must restart. Confirm restart. If Steam does not restart on its own open it manually. Check to see if your games are playable, your games should no longer be grayed out. I hope this helps out!

If you still are having issues I would first check for any new updates (Select Steam in the menu bar the option Check For Updates… is below Preferences in the menu) If updates are available install and restart app. Check to see if the problem was fixed. If that does not resolve your issues send feedback to steam as well as apple, include details of your issue and steps you have taken to resolve the issue.

(These issues are to be expected when using any beta version of a program or OS that is why feedback is so important the better the feedback the quicker these issues can be resolved.)
  • NOTE

( I ONLY HAVE USED STEAM TO PLAY KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC II AND DOING THIS FIXED THE PROBLEM FOR ME. I WILL ADD AN UPDATE IF I RUN INTO ANY ISSUES IN GAMEPLAY, BUT SO FAR SO GOOD. I CAN'T VOUCH FOR HOW WELL THIS WORKS FOR OTHER GAMES SINCE I HAVE NOT PLAYED ANYTHING ELSE.)

Here is a quick instruction for anyone who doesn't need every step explained. LOL!

1) Open Steam App...

2) In the menu bar at the top select->Steam->Preferences

3) Account tab should be selected by default from the sidebar (on left)

4) On the right side you should see account information and some options for account security, change password, and change email. Below those options, you should see Beta participation: displayed with a selection box that reads CHANGE… Click on this box to open a new window with a message and a drop-down menu.

5) Click on the drop-down menu and select Steam Beta Update from the two options available, press OK to confirm your selection and receive the beta update for Steam.

Instructions if You Are Using Big Picture Mode:

Select 'Settings' then 'System'
Check the ‘Participate in client beta’ option
Follow the prompt to restart Steam

Steam will alert you the Application needs to restart once the beta updates are installed, confirm to restart the app. (If it does not reopen on its own reopen the app manually) Check in your Library your games should now be playable. If you run into any bugs or issues, send a feedback report to both Steam and Apple with details of your issue. Hope this helps!

~Martha ;)
  • hey, thanks Martha. Cool name, reminds me of a character in an Anna K. movie

Add a Comment
I had to wipe my Mac completely clean to download Big Sur. Currently I'm reinstalling several Apps. Steam doesn't even install. I just get the notification...

ok so I just wanted to check the exact notification and clicked on the steam symbol again and the it was updating but nothing happened, I clicked it again and it was again updating, again and it just opened.

I cannot tell what I did tbh.

However, I've read that Steam is just not available for Mac OS Big Sur just yet. But what do I know? It seems to work just fine.
Don't mind me.
Yes, big Sur won't allow me to play 7 days to die. This always happens after a big update and usually takes a few months to be corrected.
Hello
I have the same problem with steam. I just updated my MacBook and now is not working anymore. Any chance to know when we get a solution for the problem.
EDIT: I was able to play Slime Rancher on Steam just now.

PRIOR:
Word on the street is that the Kexts changes have blocked 3rd-party/cross-platform accessibility on things like Steam and Bluestacks. Some emulators work, but boy, I miss my bluestacks (and steam a little).

On the bright side: I learned about gog.com and why DRMs are a pain. Throttling privacy has taught me a little more about what I suspected--and also didn't like--about some of the changes int he digital environment: ie. throwing money away at products that we don't/can't/never will control.

Curious to see where this goes... and surprised at how ambivalent I am becoming about it as I learn more.

Thank you Apple. You still have my support. I work in the healthcare field so security means a lot to me.
(Maybe a well informed permissions work around or something for those that don't mind a risk or two, though?)
@LucyFox0
That's for playing, not developing, isn't it ?

If so, developers forum is not the right forum for the question.
Better contact Apple support or Steam support.

Have a good day.
No support for Steam? Then I have no support for buying another Mac.
Well if you have the new MacBook Pro or Air with the M1 Chip, you can't access Steam games unless you use a 3rd party developer or producer. Right now only Intel and Mac Intel users are able to play Steam Games. (BTW 3rd party developers tend to send some types of virus or something into your mac. e.g the Bing/Yahoo Browser Hijacker) My advice is to just play using the App store. M1 Chip users are somewhat lucky as if you search games from the iPhone onto safari, and click on the App Store Link, it will take you onto the Mac App Store, where you can download games such as Among Us.