Cannot log into Big Sur after update

I've got a VMWare installation of 10.15. I've successfully updated my copy to macOS 11.0, however I'm now stuck on the login screen. I enter the password, I see the spinner for 30 seconds and the screen flashes and I'm back on the password screen again. The lock screen / password screen seems to be working fine but cannot login any more into my VM.

Anyone else with this issue? Any idea what I need to now do? Completely stuck at the lock screen.

Replies

Facing the same issue on a virtual machine in Parallels. It logs in - I see a flash of the desktop and then it logs me out again.

Same problem here. I updated a 10.14 VM to 11.0. Sometimes I see the Finder before going back to the login window, sometimes it's just a black screen. I guess I'll try a new VM installing 10.15 and then updating to 11.0 again.
same issue. haven't found any helpful information to fix.
Have just upgraded and have the same issue - except mine is not in a VM, but on the real HW.
Has anyone found a fix yet?
I think I got a solution, at least it worked for me, when you log in, if you can, you have to run disk Utility, then run first aid in your main disk, in my case, Macintosh HD, after that you need to run on Macintosh HD - Data, that have to be done in the short time that you log in, I’m so sorry, I don’t have other solution if you directly flash and go to Lock Screen, good luck everyone!
Beta 4 addresses.
still no fix??
Pretty pathetic that this has not been solved yet.
My solution (for downloading from AppStore): create another MacOS user, log in as that user, download the app, then log back in as the previous user. The app works.
For me, upgrade worked once and whenever I restarted the machine after first successful login (immediately after upgrade completes), it used to not take correct password for any of the preexisting accounts. This is a bug in Big Sur.

What I did was - I created the new admin user account right after the first login after upgrading to Big Sur. Somehow all preexisting account started working as well. You can later on delete the newly created user account if you wish. I am enjoying the Big Sur new look after a day of hard work. I had to figure this out in a very difficult way by installing Catalina multiple times and going through many post online ( none of them work for me but gave me an idea to create new user after first login). Hope this helps.
  • *Through out this process I had backed up my time machine hence I was fearless in trying stuff - just to put explicitly.

Hope this helps.
Did anyone find a solution? I upgraded to Big Sur and since then I am not able to login. After I enter my local admin account password, it takes me to login screen again which looks like a mobile account login. Somehow my local account is messed and my mac is considering it to be a network account which is why it takes my password and brings back to same screen with a message 'Your password is required to login'

I tried SMC reset, PRAM reset, reinstallation nothing works

Same issue here on vmware.. tried to firstaid the disk with no luck.. now Im trying the option of creating a new user.. but I think its the same.. Any solutions so far?